Barometric pressure on draft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Max W

Feeling the Heat
Feb 4, 2021
Maine
Reduced chimney draft seemed to come with a a low pressure front often accompanied by Spring and Fall rain. I’d been believing that that it was not just temperature that had an affect but also pressure. Seeing no references to atmospheric pressure in my short time here it seems I had it wrong. I’m now wondering if it is just warmer temps that may come with the lows. Does a falling barometer have no affect?

It's been discussed before and I don't know if a firm conclusion was reached. I think the influence is small when compared to outside temps or wind. It seems like the barometric pressure outside is about the same as inside unless measured in a negative pressure zone like the basement.

It's the pressure difference between bottom and top of the stack that matters. The lower absolute pressure (decreasing with a low pressure front) will decrease the draft but it is a relatively minor effect as compared to the temperature difference that creates the draft.

Perhaps lower atmospheric pressure is like running the stove at a higher altitude which is known to reduce draft.

Reactions: stoveliker
Perhaps lower atmospheric pressure is like running the stove at a higher altitude which is known to reduce draft.

Precisely.

The air was “heavy” here over the wknd and was a killer on my draft, does it every time!