Barrel stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken Coop

Feb 6, 2006
Hey gang,

I'm just getting started and I'm currently experimenting with my first barrel stove out in the old chicken coop. I choose to run single wall out the window and up. I've left the male up for the time being. I'm into my first burn and have quite a bit of water and creosote weeping at the joints. I know that they say don't run out a window and male down, but this isn't my house, I can't go up through the roof. This is just to heat while I'm out there working.

I'm thinking that this is an unconventional way to cut down on buildup for it leaks on the ground. I'm reluctant to seal the joints for I'm not sure I want all of that draining back to the stove. If the chimney were to catch, it's shut down and a couple of screws and bolts and it's on the ground and away.

My question is to anyone that might have a similar inexpensive set up in an old shed that they use only so often.

What do you think of this method? Any ideas, tips, or what not? Thanks, Ryan.

Ok, I have to say it.

Captain, she's leaking creosote like a beastie!

Scotty, Jettison - the - Stovepipe!

Bones, Ad - minister - Anti - Stovepipe - Creosote - medical stuff!

Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not an ardent reader of Hearth.com!

Cap'n, the nuts and bolts are sticky! It'll take 35.678 hours to jettison it!

You've - got - 6 - seconds, Scotty!

Oh. Ok. I'll get it, Cap'n.

(And of course) FFFFRRRRRRAAAAAANNNNNNNKKKKKKKK!!!!! (screamed to the tune of KHAN!!!!)

I had to do it. Don't kill me.

Status
Not open for further replies.