Basement air circulation to fireplace thru ash pit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Craby

Feb 27, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
I've just installed a Blaze King Princess Insert into my 1st floor fireplace & was thinking of a way to circulate the cold air from my basement to the stove by using a 4" cone/squirrel cage fan at the basement ash pit cleanout door & ducting 4" flex up thru the ash dump door at the floor of the inner hearth, terminating w/ a 90* elbow pointing at the back side of the insert.

The air should escape from around the shroud, and create a loop w/ the stove room air being drawn downstairs as it's adjacent to the stairwell.

I have a block off plate at the damper & packed w/ Roxul solid so no air will go up the chimney.

The concern I have is the hot water heater (HWH) & furnace are next to the ash pit cleanout door in the basement utility closet, & wonder if I will create a negative pressure in the utility closet drawing the fumes from either appliance thru the fan. The furnace is direct vented to the exterior w/ PVC, but the HWH has an air gap between it and the draft hood that is ducted into an adjacent chimney flue so the exhaust from the HWH might be pulled into the utility room from the fan.

Do you think this is a cause for concern?

I've just installed a Blaze King Princess Insert into my 1st floor fireplace & was thinking of a way to circulate the cold air from my basement to the stove by using a 4" cone/squirrel cage fan at the basement ash pit cleanout door & ducting 4" flex up thru the ash dump door at the floor of the inner hearth, terminating w/ a 90* elbow pointing at the back side of the insert.

The air should escape from around the shroud, and create a loop w/ the stove room air being drawn downstairs as it's adjacent to the stairwell.

I have a block off plate at the damper & packed w/ Roxul solid so no air will go up the chimney.

The concern I have is the hot water heater (HWH) & furnace are next to the ash pit cleanout door in the basement utility closet, & wonder if I will create a negative pressure in the utility closet drawing the fumes from either appliance thru the fan. The furnace is direct vented to the exterior w/ PVC, but the HWH has an air gap between it and the draft hood that is ducted into an adjacent chimney flue so the exhaust from the HWH might be pulled into the utility room from the fan.

Do you think this is a cause for concern?

I think I'd be more concerned with what you have in the basement that might be giving off cumbustible fumes. By sending basement air up to the insert area, you're gonna introduce those fumes into the firebox. Not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.