Basement Concrete Painting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
Looking to paint sections of 3 walls in a basement. Each wall is different material: brick, cinder block, and poured concrete. Can I use the same paint for all 3 surfaces?

Any signs of moisture issues, effervescence, etc? Are they all below grade?

I'd prime all three with Drylok first to be safe. Then paint as you would any other surface. drylok.com

Any signs of moisture issues, effervescence, etc? Are they all below grade?
All below grade, no moisture issues whatsoever. Only one has any earth against it, other 2 are side of interior chimney and wall separating garage from inner basement.

I'd prime all three with Drylok first to be safe. Then paint as you would any other surface. drylok.com
So I read somewhere that drylok inhibits air flow through the wall and the moisture builds up in the wall. But then if this were true, eps would do the same thing.

So I read somewhere that drylok inhibits air flow through the wall and the moisture builds up in the wall. But then if this were true, eps would do the same thing.
Drylok fills the pores in block, concrete, etc. I've never thought about air flowing "through" a wall, but I suppose it would stop that too. My preference is always to keep moisture on the outside, but since you aren't having any issues it probably isn't necessary.

Drylok fills the pores in block, concrete, etc. I've never thought about air flowing "through" a wall, but I suppose it would stop that too. My preference is always to keep moisture on the outside, but since you aren't having any issues it probably isn't necessary.
But just cause you block it on the inside, it won't reverse and go back where it came from, but it has to go somewhere.

But just cause you block it on the inside, it won't reverse and go back where it came from, but it has to go somewhere.

It doesn't have to "go" anywhere; it can stay where it is - outside. There must be a driving force to make moisture move, and there normally would be if ground is outside (typically damp) and living space is inside. But applying a vapor diffusion retarder layer inside (Drylok), really slows down the rate of diffusion into the interior space, so that any water vapor that does diffuse through will be handled easily by the house's AC or be flushed out by natural air leakage. Ultimately, the water content of the brick or concrete will rise to an equilibrium level, at which no further absorption of water from outside can occur. Concrete can remain wet for centuries; it doesn't have to "dry."

It doesn't have to "go" anywhere; it can stay where it is - outside. There must be a driving force to make moisture move, and there normally would be if ground is outside (typically damp) and living space is inside. But applying a vapor diffusion retarder layer inside (Drylok), really slows down the rate of diffusion into the interior space, so that any water vapor that does diffuse through will be handled easily by the house's AC or be flushed out by natural air leakage. Ultimately, the water content of the brick or concrete will rise to an equilibrium level, at which no further absorption of water from outside can occur. Concrete can remain wet for centuries; it doesn't have to "dry."
Thank you for that explanation.

Thank you for that explanation.
Forgot to mention, all three walls have been painted before by PO, even floor. Would this previous painting qualify as primer?

Status
Not open for further replies.