Basement only heating?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:
Another vote for the CAB-50.

If the stove does only require low fire rate, Just crank it up once in a while. An hour or so of high fire will clean it out. But I'd say you won't see low all that much with the cement sucking up the heat on ya! I'd want a stove with some room for the cold days. The little stove might not cut it in the minus temps!

He is going to insulate the basement Jay.

I still vote for the big one! I love horsepower. (Couple of tim the tool man grunts here!)

j-takeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:
Another vote for the CAB-50.

If the stove does only require low fire rate, Just crank it up once in a while. An hour or so of high fire will clean it out. But I'd say you won't see low all that much with the cement sucking up the heat on ya! I'd want a stove with some room for the cold days. The little stove might not cut it in the minus temps!

He is going to insulate the basement Jay.

I still vote for the big one! I love horsepower. (Couple of tim the tool man grunts here!)

Well then you should go right along with my recommendation.

Yuph, and yuph, but there is still a bunch of concrete floor to suck up extra heat even though heat rises.

I have a Big E in my 1400 sqft basement, walkout, insulation overhead, nothing on the walls, knee walls, 3 windows very similiar to you and I have no problem keeping the basement at 68/70 degrees on the low #2 setting when temps range in the 15 - 30+ degree range. Any lower temp I will put it on the #3 setting while I am in the basement. But not all pellets put out the same heat/btu so it will depend on what you buy. I have experienced a 3 to 5 degree difference in temp based on pellet brand. Would I use this stove upstairs? NO! But I believe it is a good stove for the basement. I run the stove 24/7, have vents in the floor and keep the basement door to the upstairs open knowing it will not heat both floors but believe every little helps. I do plan on getting another stove SOON for the upstairs.

If your gonna insulate and do a stove, do the stove first and see how it goes.

I was prepared to add 2" xps on the interior, but for the intermittent use it gets I'm not gonna.

my $.02

smoke show said:
If your gonna insulate and do a stove, do the stove first and see how it goes.

I was prepared to add 2" xps on the interior, but for the intermittent use it gets I'm not gonna.

my $.02

Yuph, do the fun part first, and don't spend more money unless needed=more money to try different pellets. :lol:

1D

I moved my old Quadra fire classic bay downstairs. It's a walk out with a window, the ceiling is insulated but the walls aren't. I only run it when I'm down there, so I'll turn it on a few hours before I go down there. I don't have any problem getting it nice and warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.