Castle Serenity for a 920 sq .ft house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mustard Tiger

Feb 13, 2024
PNW
Will be moving into a 920 sq ft house in a few weeks. House is a main floor that has the kitchen, main living area/living room, bedroom and two full baths along with a loft above the main living area and an unfinished basement not counted in the overall square footage. Considering the Castle Serenity as my first pellet stove. It's inexpensive, no frills and pretty easy to use and maintain.

My question is what am I missing by not buying a more expensive pellet stove compared to the Serenity? Seems like many have been happy with the Serenity given it's price and they seem to go for years without much maintenance if you clean it regularly and take care of it .Is there anything else int hat range I should also be considering, or should I skip stoves in this price range and look at other stoves that cost more?

I've always said buy a stove built in North America!
But if you are happy with a big box stove built in China go for it
It performs the same has the same safety switches and looks good
Their price point is good but the Quality is suspect fit and finish.
Then again for a happy life buy what the better half likes.

I've always said buy a stove built in North America!
But if you are happy with a big box stove built in China go for it
It performs the same has the same safety switches and looks good
Their price point is good but the Quality is suspect fit and finish.
Then again for a happy life buy what the better half likes.
Well, in this case there's no better half, so that's not part of the equation, just me and a dog! I do prefer buying American in most cases, as long as the quality is there. I'm purchasing an older home that has great bones, is in amazing condition for it's age, just needs some updating. Putting in new floors along with some other things that need to be done before moving in and going with the Serenity just seemed like a nice way to get the job done for a while without breaking the bank factoring in all the other upfront expenses I have to worry about.

Maybe the big box stove is for you. I guess it depends on how long
you intend to use it. My Envrio is on its 23 year of heating 24/7
and in that time I have replaced the combustion fan once
Now rebuilt and in my parts stock. My friend bought a big box stove
at about the same time. It has been put to rest many years ago.
I guess it all depends on finances with the work you are doing it
could be just the stove for you. As I said they all use the same
type of safety features so it just comes down to how fancy you
want to go!!

A different version to look at would be the Master Forge at Lowes. My worry would be either stove would run you out of that space at 920 sq ft, I am heating about 1400 sq ft with mine. I picked up the Master Forge on sale for $800 at lowes so keep an eye on it for it going back on sale again.

Thank you for this. Are there any other pellet stoves that you'd recommend the would be suitable for a smaller space like mine in addition to the Master Forge?

I installed Castle Serenity in the 2 car garage I built about 4 years ago. It ran fine right out of the box. Has good basic control settings and scheduling to keep things from getting cold. I did have to replace two igniters. They’re inexpensive but a pain to access. Real easy to clean.

Think a Hyundai will get ya there just like a Mercedes but for the $ saved ,,, don't forget any rebates be they state or federal while pricing & best of luck

I'm glad there are so many patriots on here but you wanted an answer. I have a 1600 sq floor house in Central MA and the Serenity is more than adequate.

I'm glad there are so many patriots on here but you wanted an answer. I have a 1600 sq floor house in Central MA and the Serenity is more than adequate.
Trust me, I'd love to buy a USA-made stove, but also have to install new engineered hardwood floors, do some electrical work and just found out I also need a new septic tank, so at the moment the Castle Serenity is what fits the budget right now.