So many choices, I'm torn between these models. Thoughts appreciated.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
if I was to install a stove I would go with a Vermont castings because of the top loading
encore or defiant depending on size needed
I initially considered VC stoves. I do love the top loading feature, but they are cast iron and I fear the heat would be too intense for the small living area; I want gentle steady heat. After doing research and collecting advice I've whittled my list down to the Hearthstone Heritage or a BK Ashford.

As for the back side of the Hearthstone I can't speak to the Heritage but my Mansfield is panels of soapstone on the back. Much like the sides. In a center room install you wouldn't need the heat shield.
Thank you, this very is helpful. I've not yet been able to find an image of the back of the Hearthstone.

Thank you, this very is helpful. I've not yet been able to find an image of the back of the Hearthstone.
Definitely check that with a dealer but I would imagine it is the same.

Reactions: kevk
There are many factors that determine a good fit for a stove. The sizing and suitability to the space (heating requirements) are primary. Then for some, aesthetics play an important role. Then other factors like durability, ease of maintenance, burn time, long-term costs, draft requirements, and clearances come to play. Some installations require rear vent, others do not. Down toward the bottom of the list come top loading and ash collection.

VC stoves are beauties, but they don't have the greatest track record for maintenance costs and the downdraft design can be touchy, especially for an inexperienced burner. They are highly radiant which in some cases is not preferable, especially is clearnaces are a concern.

Take time to weigh options and prioritize what is most important.

also in most installs you can not use any 90 degree elbows
Meaning in chimneys, right? 90º elbows in stove pipe are common.

Reactions: bholler
ok I'm not going to argue/ but it is from the owners mouth, also in most installs you can not use any 90 degree elbows, i suppose you will say that's not true as well hehe

After 25 years of installing i would think you could come up with your own opinion, not rely on one customers opinion. Lots of people on here run BKs in warmer climates. And while 45's are definitely better on your stovepipe, 90s are more common and work fine in most situations so no, that is not true.

ok I'm not going to argue/ but it is from the owners mouth, also in most installs you can not use any 90 degree elbows, i suppose you will say that's not true as well hehe
Are you talking THE owner of the company Blaze King?
(Or A owner of a BK stove.)

Thanks. I believe the Heritage is a hybrid in that it has both a cat and a double burn. From what I've researched you can leave the cat disengaged and it will run in secondary combustion (pls correct me if I'm wrong).
It's listed as a True Hybrid as is my Mansfield and yes you can burn minus the cats on the secondarys. The pic on the website shows a handle, like mine too engage the cats.

it was the owner of blaze king that told me that by the way hehe
That's pure BS. BK stoves are made in the Pac NW's milder climate. They are better for mild weather burning than several stoves.

@BKVP

So he says that the owner of BK told him the stoves only work well in extreme cold. Were you aware of this?
We are publicly held. Which of the 10,000+ owners told him? 🤔

I'm just laughing...

BKVP

• When was Blaze King founded?​

Blaze King was founded in 1977.
  • Where is Blaze King headquartered?​

Blaze King is headquartered in Penticton, Canada.
  • What industry is Blaze King in?​

Blaze King’s primary industry is Distributors/Wholesale.
  • Is Blaze King a private or public company?​

Blaze King is a Private company.
  • What is the current valuation of Blaze King?​

The current valuation of Blaze King is 00.000.
  • What is Blaze King’s current revenue?​

The current revenue for Blaze King is 000000.
  • When was Blaze King acquired?​

Blaze King was acquired on 27-Feb-2015.
  • Who acquired Blaze King?​

Blaze King was acquired by Decisive Dividend.

• When was Blaze King founded?​

Blaze King was founded in 1977.
  • Where is Blaze King headquartered?​

Blaze King is headquartered in Penticton, Canada.
  • What industry is Blaze King in?​

Blaze King’s primary industry is Distributors/Wholesale.
  • Is Blaze King a private or public company?​

Blaze King is a Private company.
  • What is the current valuation of Blaze King?​

The current valuation of Blaze King is 00.000.
  • What is Blaze King’s current revenue?​

The current revenue for Blaze King is 000000.
  • When was Blaze King acquired?​

Blaze King was acquired on 27-Feb-2015.
  • Who acquired Blaze King?​

Blaze King was acquired by Decisive Dividend.

You are aware that @BKVP is the vice president of Blaze king? Are you just trolling?

Headquarters is in Walla Walla, WA, USA.
So even simple checkable facts are wrong with this one.
Trust at your own risk.

i do not think there is much difference in the air control , but the cat on the bz is very large
and works like a restrictor, very low temp on the flue gases 300-400 degrees I have seen customers run them low then end up with a chimney fire / because they are using a stove meant for very cold
Blaze kings biggest strength is their ability to run low and slow better than any other stove on the market while still burning clean. That and the even heat due to the thermostat but others have that. But you are absolutely not correct that they are only good for cold climates. In fact I would say the opposite they are better suited to milder climates. Not that they can't be used in cold areas but that isn't where they really shine

I think it's as with any stove and home: they (stoves) are suitable for the homes if they can provide the heat that your home and comfort need. For some that is a low heat output (milder climate and/or well-insulated and sealed home), for some that is a high output (the opposite).

What BK has done is expand the range of heat outputs to the low end, as compared to what is average in the industry (for similar sized stoves).

The thermostat is great too. It provides even output and adds a degree of protection against overfire. But in providing that safety it does limit the upper output a little bit, it appears, as compared to the average of similar sized other stoves.
As with any insurance, there's cost involved...

BK with a little wall behind it is my vote, even possible to have some little shelves behind it if you like but it would look nice and likely keep the person in the adjacent chair fom getting cooked medium rare.

Although I am not likely to ever own a BK stove, I am not hesitant to recommend them to someone living in a mild climate or with low heating needs. Mild, shoulder season burning is their forte. Woodstock also has some models that are good at low and slow burning. I can not say that about several other stoves include Vermont Castings which are quite radiant and like to burn on the hot side. The downside of low and slow burning over an extended time may be a blackened stove glass but many are willing to deal with it. Another alternative for the shoulder season is a heat pump, especially if electric rates are reasonable.

I think that *as long as the BTU output of the stove meets the needs of the home*, having a BK and running it high is nice too - because the thermostat allows for that to be very even. My experience with my previous stove (an old cat stove) is that running a non-thermostat stove high results in larger temperature fluctuations (due to larger heat output changes over the burncycle of a non-thermostat stove).

jjam is not wrong in saying that there are a lot of BKs in the far cold north. Evidently they meet a need there too.

Of course, one has to take into account their somewhat lower max output as other stoves of the same firebox volume when one chooses a stove for ones home.

I think that *as long as the BTU output of the stove meets the needs of the home*, having a BK and running it high is nice too - because the thermostat allows for that to be very even. My experience with my previous stove (an old cat stove) is that running a non-thermostat stove high results in larger temperature fluctuations (due to larger heat output changes over the burncycle of a non-thermostat stove).

jjam is not wrong in saying that there are a lot of BKs in the far cold north. Evidently they meet a need there too.

Of course, one has to take into account their somewhat lower max output as other stoves of the same firebox volume when one chooses a stove for ones home.
Are they "somewhat lower" on the high end? Are they based upon the same method? If not, then the values are not comparable. We certainly do not make the highest BTU producing stoves, but if comparable test method data is used, the difference is negligible.

BKVP

That is what some customer experience is saying on this forum.