Basement scrounge!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JP11

Minister of Fire
May 15, 2011
Central Maine
I just realized that I can help my grandfather out, and add to my stacks at the same time.

I wouldn't normally buy wood. As I'm surrounded by it at home. BUT..

My grandfather is confined to a wheelchair now. He had bought and had stacked in his basement next to his OLD OLD tarm 4 cords last fall.

He can't tend it now, and luckily for his checkbook, we had a mild winter.

No relatives live close enough to tend the fire, and his and my grandmother's nurses all have no interest in doing wood boiler. I guess I can't blame them.

Anyway.. I'll hire the same neighbor kids to haul the wood OUT that stacked it IN the basement. Pay my grandfather back what he paid for the wood.... and that will add 4 cords to my stacks. I just need to keep buying pallets. I think I'm at about 25 pallet "U's" now. That's a little under 8 cords I think. My dad keeps splitting my pile. Probably another 3 cords in rounds now. I guess that will put me over a year ahead. Not bad for no boiler yet!

JP

That is really too bad for your grandfather. I hate to think of that day. It has to be tough on him to not be able to burn any more. I hope that day never comes for me. :-S

I'm with Steve on this one. I dread that day if it ever comes and so hope it will never come. I like wood heat.

When I built my house in the back of my mind was the fact that I could remove my spiral staircase.. and have an external track elevator. That gives me access to both levels (daylight basement) in a wheelchair. I can wheel my but to the piles of wood, and load it up one piece at a time if I have to.

Hopefully that day never comes.. but I plan to stay in this home till I can no longer live unassisted.

JP

JP11 said:
When I built my house in the back of my mind was the fact that I could remove my spiral staircase.. and have an external track elevator. That gives me access to both levels (daylight basement) in a wheelchair. I can wheel my but to the piles of wood, and load it up one piece at a time if I have to.

Hopefully that day never comes.. but I plan to stay in this home till I can no longer live unassisted.

JP
I like your plan!

Backwoods Savage said:
I'm with Steve on this one. I dread that day if it ever comes and so hope it will never come. I like wood heat.
Amen Brother! I will stoke my stove 'till I can't bring one piece of wood in an put it in the stove! God help me, I hope that day never comes :smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.