Basement up Heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkpoor

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2008
Amanda, OH
Well I think after 17yrs I get it. Stove has been cold for at least 10days now. Its been in the mid 70s most days. House has remained in the mid 70s also but the basement is freezing. It stays in the mid 60s down there even with these warm days. So basically I'm asking the stove to do double duty down there. Its been running with a 10 degree delta. It will feel good in a couple months though. We spend alot of time in the basement so heat down there will always be a must. I'll be curious to see what a stove upstairs next winter can do in a drywall environment over a concrete one.

You will be very pleased. Over the years I have always had a stove in the basement and every attempt to heat the whole house with it has sent me up the stairs to light the one on the first floor. Moved that office upstairs and wood usage dropped like a rock.

Those basement walls just suck the heat right out of a stove. Somebody posted a professional study on here a few years ago that showed the shocking amount of BTUs that it took to overcome the heat loss in a basement.

If you spend a lot of time in the basement, insulate those walls. Otherwise you are heating mother earth.

We have a stove in our basement and it's nice to have it to knock off the cold damp chill this time of year.it doesn't take much of a fire to get things warmed up. Theyres also a fan that circulates air around and that helps as only about 1/2 of the walls are insulated.

The catch to having the stove upstairs, is if you do spend time downstairs you will freeze or go broke trying to heat the basement without wood.

My house came with a old Fisher stove in the unfinished basement, it would heat the upstairs somewhat,
and burn a lot of wood. A few years ago I put the little Regency upstairs and what a difference! Probably use half the wood, and have not purchased any oil since. This year the furnace turned on, maybe once.:)

A stove upstairs is the way to go.

After almost two years with my stove in the basement I am realizing the insulation down there sucks. The basement was finished when we moved in, so I am not sure what is behind the drywall, but whatever is back there can't be a lot of insulation. Also the floor is poorly insulated, or probably not insulated at all. I can heat up the basement, but I think I'd have a lot more surplus heat if it was better insulated. Will I ever fix it? Probably not, but I know it would help.

I have two stoves and pretty much burn the one in the finished basement 24/7 since I had my master bedroom downstairs and spent a lot of time down there. Recently I switched out our bedroom from the basement to the upstairs since both kids are gone and I'm planning an addition up there as well so I'm thinking the upstairs stove may become the primary burner and use the downstairs stove to take the chill off the basement. I know this will save wood because the basement stove has to run much harder to keep both levels warm. I may eventually install a gas stove in the basement and use it as needed since NG is so cheap.

Last night it got into the lower 40s. Felt cool so decided to start up the stove. Went all night. Reloaded this morning and gotter back up to 600+. Still going strong at 2PM. 71 degrees outside and only 74 in the basement. After 14hrs of burning a huge stove like the Elm I was only able to achieve a 3 degree delta with the afternoon high. Thats how hard it is for me to heat from the basement up. Problem is the stove has been cold for a while and all the concrete has normalized with ambient. It typically takes 2 full days to overcome the heat sink affect on the walls and floor. I'll admit it felt warm down there where as on cold days 74 would still be cool. But when I here people say its 80 in their house I say bring that stove on over here and we'll see just what it can do. If a 30"L X 22"W barrel can't get it done running over 600 dgrees I would be curious to know if anything else out their can.

Status
Not open for further replies.