Basement wood box/chute

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
So I finished half of my basement which is great, but I don't have outside access so the only way to bring wood in (right now) is down the steps, which are now carpeted. Trips out to the woodshed usually involve a little mud, so it's not a great combination. Plus, I've always wanted to be able to bring lots of wood in at once (like a week's worth), so I decided that I really needed to come up with some sort of chute. I have a basement window by the washing machines that I figured would work well:

IMG_1001.jpg

The first thing I did was build a "collection box"-it should easily hold a week's worth of wood (maybe more) dumped in from the window. It's pretty simple, just some ripped 2x4s, plywood, and screws:

IMG_1006.jpg

This weekend I'll be working on the outside, making a frame around the window opening with a box and lid so that I can haul wood over to the house from the woodshed via wheelbarrow or tractor cart and just dump it in. More pics to come.

Looks good so far. Sure beats carrying the wood through the house and down the stairs.

Neat idea, I had a similar thought but Id have to change the window, not sure if Ill have the time to get to it this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.