Battery Back-up UPS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

titanracer

Feeling the Heat
Nov 10, 2011
South Central PA., Newville
APC comes to mine as a good UPS battery back-up box, but how big do you really need. At this time, I'm not looking at something to keep it running for hours, just something like maybe a half hour or just to cover you in case you have a power blink, and it won't shut your stove right down. Something long enough to maybe get generator hooked up and or allow it go thru shut down mode. I have a spare APC brand that is a ES550, would this be ok to hook-up to stove to give me a cushion.

Last edited:
How do you guys do this? Do you literally just have a UPS sitting on the floor next to your stove? I had an outlet put in the fireplace (I have an insert), so I don't think I have any option for something like this. For extended outages though, I do have a generator.

That's pretty cool, but does the wiring setup like that meet the electrical code? If I understand correctly, the outlet behind the stove upstairs is fed by the APC/batteries, to it's not a true outlet wiring into your home panel...just curious on that. thanks again for the link; very cool.

I like to think of the outlet as the end of a romex extension cord coming from the APC running up the inside of the wall and ending at the wall right next to the stove.

No, it does not connect to my house electrical system.

Got it. :) I've wondered what it will be like if the power goes out on me. I have a generator, but need to hook it up. How does all the smoke get in the house? Because the firebox fills up since the draft/venting air is pretty much gone?

APC comes to mine as a good UPS battery back-up box, but how big do you really need. At this time, I'm not looking at something to keep it running for hours, just something like maybe a half hour or just to cover you in case you have a power blink, and it won't shut your stove right down. Something long enough to maybe get generator hooked up and or allow it go thru shut down mode. I have a spare APC brand that is a ES550, would this be ok to hook-up to stove to give me a cushion.
If you want to run for any reasonable length of time you'll need a UPS that charges an external battery. They exist (I listed a few in another thread) but they are pricey.

My stove vent has no vertical rise so theres no natural draft to pull the smoke out when the blower stops.

Last edited:
Got it. :) I've wondered what it will be like if the power goes out on me. I have a generator, but need to hook it up. How does all the smoke get in the house? Because the firebox fills up since the draft/venting air is pretty much gone?
Eaton, Modulon, Sure Fire Sentry.

Status
Not open for further replies.