1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Battery backup on a Harman accentra failure

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by pelletwood, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pelletwood

pelletwood Member

Loc:
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    I hooked up a APC RS1000 to my Harman Accentra, this unit is 1000 VA and 600 watts.
    I put my stove in test mode, which all blowers and auger are activated.
    I then unplugged the battery backup and the electronic still were working but all the motors
    slowed down and started to hum.
    Wow, Tried this again with my other battery backup and same result.
    Looked on the internet and it seems that any battery backup that is modified sine wave is fine for electronics
    but will not work well for fans and motors.
    I also went to work and try this with a fan on one of our battery backups and same result.
    So I guess that I am now looking for a battery backup with a pure sine wave.
    Any suggestions?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. wb2bhc

wb2bhc New Member

Loc:
    Northern NJ
    Try this on for size

Give Mark at Go Power a Call at
    866-247-6527 extension 8306 or visit www.gpelectric.com

Sells the whole shabang

Jay
  3. Turbozcs2003

Turbozcs2003 New Member

Loc:
    southernMaine
    What kind of pricing on those???
  4. imacman

imacman Guest

This unit was in a previous thread....looks pretty nice...... made by Noma?

Attached Files:

5. RonaldAdams

RonaldAdams Member

Loc:
    Montreal

I posted this in the other thread. I have not had a chance to test this unit yet but I will on the weekend. I will let everyone know the results on Monday. I run a Quadrafire 1100-i, so we'll see if it is capable of running a pellet burner. As for the Noma name, up here in Canada, Noma makes all kinds of electrical stuff ( it's all made in China ( unfortunately ) I wish it wasn't ). I think I saw a similar product on a US website for computer back-up system, I'll try and find it on the weekend and post it on Monday.
  6. imacman

imacman Guest

7. imacman

imacman Guest

Thanks tree....I'm sure there are lots of pellet people that will be interested in the results. :)
  8. wb2bhc

wb2bhc New Member

Loc:
    Northern NJ
    The "NOMA" unit is a modified sine wave and is not liked by pellet stoves
    or most panel tv types. You need a pure sine wave output to do the job

Jay
  9. imacman

imacman Guest

Thanks Jay for clearing that up...I DID read in this thread about the need for Pure Sine wave inverter, but didn't know if this one was or not.
  10. swalz

swalz Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Newark, DE
    I was using an APC Smart-UPS XL 1000VA with no problem on my Harman XXV; Donated it with a Server to a non-profit that I installed for them. I did not see any problem when I was using it, they do cost more than others because they are meant for Servers. When I tested it with the cord unplugged I ran the stove for 3 hrs with only 2 bars dropped from power remaining, this was with it lighting the stove also. Did not test to battery was drained wanted to go to bed.

Output Specs:
    Output Power Capacity - 800 Watts / 1000 VA Max
    Configurable Power - 800 Watts / 1000 VA
    Nominal Output Voltage - 120V
    Output Voltage Distortion - Less than 5% at full load
    Output Frequency - (sync to mains) 47 - 53 Hz for 50 Hz nominal,57 - 63 Hz for 60 Hz nominal
    Crest Factor up to 5 : 1
    Waveform Type - Sine wave
    Output Connections - (8) NEMA 5-15R
  11. tinkabranc

tinkabranc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Coast MA
    My stove is hooked up to a APC XS1300VA- 780 watts. - so far no problems at all.
    Power went out a few times last winter and it ran fine.

edit: Waveform Type- Stepped approximation to a sinewave
  12. peirhead

peirhead Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    PEI Canada
    Here is a page off APC's (Major UPS manufacturer) website. It gives a little more insight into the issue of non computer loads with certain UPS designs...

Attached Files:

• APC.jpg
      APC.jpg
      File size:
      66.8 KB
      Views:
  13. hossthehermit

hossthehermit Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine, ayuh, by gorry
    I had a long talk with Mark on the phone last night , for this app. he recommends something like a GP-SW600-12 inverter (600 watt), GP-DC-Kit2 (install kit), GP-TS (transfer switch), GPSC-12-10A )smart charger) and 100 amp-hr deep cycle battery(ies). I priced the stuff out, best prices I found were at boatandrvaccessories.com, $315.99 invertor, 131.99 kit, $182 for the transfer switch. You can get chargers anywhere from $50-$100, need to figure how long you need to run to figure how many batteries you'll need. The boat and rv place has bigger inverters if ya need something with more amperage. Hope this helps.
  14. RonaldAdams

RonaldAdams Member

Loc:
    Montreal
    Well, it's Monday morning and I don't have any results as it was too darn warm this weekend to run the pellet stove. :down: Rumor has it that it will be a lot cooler next weekend so I'll try then and update again next Monday. :)
  15. imacman

imacman Guest

Just a reminder to keep a close eye on the motors.....from what someone said above, your unit is a modified sine-wave unit, and is really only for electronics (computers, etc).....fan motors that are used in our stoves don't work well (if at all) unless the unit is a pure sine-wave type.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.