Battery Chain Saws

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
I'm looking for a no hassle backup saw. That saw we all need to cut out my primary saw when its pinched. You've never done that. I assume they can cut 12" rounds, maybe slow. So the battery saws look like it would be perfect for this.

I don't need a saw that can do what my 260 pro can do. I don't need the largest, fastest, heavy, pricey battery saw. But just good bang for the buck, with decent performance.

Anyone have an opinion on one there using?

Look at the Milwaukee M18 FUEL 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 16 in. Chainsaw. Not cheap, but an excellent battery powered saw. In fact, I like it better than my gas-powered Stihl.

61Ai4jwowpL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Do you already have dewalt batteries? 20v or 60v?

We run 2 of the 80v 18" greenworks saws, pretty much all I run anymore. I have the small batteries and the large batteries, plus the battery harness web gear kit that relocates the battery to your back - makes the saws real featherweights if i'm cutting for a longer time - only downside to that is the cord/tether which is really not too much hassle most of the time. I won't drop a tree in that corded configuration, though. Quiet, no vibration, no stink. It's about like running a small 40-45cc saw. Put full skip on it and take your time, makes life enjoyable :)

That's really the question. Do you want a saw that's part of a larger cordless system like a Ryobi, Dewalt, Milwaukee, etc.. You get the benefits of other cordless tools to use with your batts if you need them.

Or, do you buy a dedicated single saw that isn't part of a larger tool set. I like the Ryobi for the cost for low end systems. Lot of tools, and pretty cheap.

Reactions: NorMi
You get the benefits of other cordless tools to use with your batts if you need them.
Good point there - for something that'll hardly be used, I'd probably just buy the one that fits batteries you already have for your other cordless tools! I did the greenworks thing in part due to going with several tools in the same ecosystem all at the same time - pole saw, push mower, snow blower, leaf blower, string trimmer, etc. *Plus, the ryobi 18v stuff I already had was clear the battery size wasn't going to be up to the task of heavier landscaping duties - I had the old' 18v string trimmer and it was more of a toy than a tool... needed some extra umph for the great outdoors :)

Last edited:
I have a few Ryobi drills with 18 volt batteries. I see 40 and now 80 volt chainsaws. I'm thinking 18V is just too small. Although I said it will be my saw for cutting out the primary. But I don't want something that's useless. Limbing with good speed and power.

I have a few Ryobi drills with 18 volt batteries. I see 40 and now 80 volt chainsaws. I'm thinking 18V is just too small. Although I said it will be my saw for cutting out the primary. But I don't want something that's useless. Limbing with good speed and power.
I would go smaller in your case. You don't need a saw that can compete with your gas saw. Eventually I plan on getting the Dewalt 12" 20v cordless saw, but I also have a Husky 460 for big stuff.

I was also considering a back up battery operated saw. Many times I just need it for a quick cut of something that I'm splitting. Seems lately it's more work starting my Husqvarna that the actual cutting. Now it's stalling when I hit a load, maybe just a carburetor adjustment but it would be nice to just activate the switch and go.

I was also considering a back up battery operated saw. Many times I just need it for a quick cut of something that I'm splitting. Seems lately it's more work starting my Husqvarna that the actual cutting. Now it's stalling when I hit a load, maybe just a carburetor adjustment but it would be nice to just activate the switch and go.
Nothing worse than a poor starting saw. That's the reason I ended up with with a Stihl. My fear is it would be hard to use a saw that is top performing.

Wonder about this. As a Stihl owner I liked stopping in any dealer and picking up a top quality chain. With all these saws where do you get chains?

Anyone have one of the Stihl battery saws? If so how long have they been around? Can you see they have Sthil quality that other saw may not have?

Nothing worse than a poor starting saw. That's the reason I ended up with with a Stihl. My fear is it would be hard to use a saw that is top performing.

Wonder about this. As a Stihl owner I liked stopping in any dealer and picking up a top quality chain. With all these saws where do you get chains?

Anyone have one of the Stihl battery saws? If so how long have they been around? Can you see they have Sthil quality that other saw may not have?
You can get any chain you need online, even Stihl chain from vendors like Bailey's. I don't always just put whatever was on the saw back on when it comes time to replace the chain. If it's not your thing to deep dive into chainsaws and chain you can take the saw to the dealer who can figure it out for you. Most places will even put a chain on another brand saw, if you buy the chain from them.

Reactions: NorMi

I don't mind paying a premium for quality. It would be interesting to find out it Stihl electric saws have the quality of their gas saws.
I sharpened my son's gas Stihl chain, when I ran it the saw seemed to run quieter and less fuss than my Husqvarna, IIRC, Stihl saws are only sold at Stihl dealerships?

Last edited:
I needed to do some pruning on the trees lining the driveway and looked at a battery saw. They were more pricey than the top handle I ended up buying.

I don't mind paying a premium for quality. It would be interesting to find out it Stihl electric saws have the quality of their gas saws.
I sharpened my son's gas Stihl chain, when I ran it the saw seemed to run quieter and less fuss than my Husqvarna, IIRC, Stihl saws are only sold at Stihl dealerships?

Not a battery, but i use my electric plug in worx 16" chainsaw more then my husqvarna .. no fumes, quiet and cuts everything i need as long as the chain is sharp. I've used a greenworks battery mower for years. I'd get something that you can use the batteries for other things.

I needed to do some pruning on the trees lining the driveway and looked at a battery saw. They were more pricey than the top handle I ended up buying.
That's true. You can buy an 18" bar Echo at Home Depot for around $300. Their battery 16" saw is $347 (with the charger and battery included). One thing is no gas or 2 cycle oil to purchase.
How long will the battery last? A new 58v battery is around $147. So that is the big unknown.

Re: the video
I was very surprised how quick the Husqvarna went through the log. I guess a 16" Stihl battery saw would do the same.
Not a battery, but i use my electric plug in worx 16" chainsaw more then my husqvarna .. no fumes, quiet and cuts everything i need as long as the chain is sharp. I've used a greenworks battery mower for years. I'd get something that you can use the batteries for other things.
That reminds me, I have a corded Poulan in the garage. I should sharpen the chain and try it. I see some tools come without batteries, need to read the fine print. But as stated, might as well invest in a brand where the batteries are interchangeable between tools.

Now that was an interesting Stihl gas vs. Milwaukee battery saw comparison. The outcome was not as expected. As some commenters pointed out, battery technology keeps improving.

Reactions: Dan Freeman
Yes. Battery technology has improved greatly over the past few years. As I said in my previous post (2nd post in this thread), I like my Milwaukee M18 better than my gas-powered Stihl. Never a problem starting, and it cuts like a Pro. I did buy it because I already have other Milwaukee battery powered tools, and the batteries are interchangeable. I guess a big consideration is if someone has already invested in another brand of battery powered tools. They may not want to start a new line of tools powered by a different battery series. For me, I am sticking with Milwaukee. And, as other tools I have die (or their batteries), I will switch over to Milwaukee. I think they are the industry leader. Just my opinion. I'm sure others may think differently.

That's true. You can buy an 18" bar Echo at Home Depot for around $300. Their battery 16" saw is $347 (with the charger and battery included). One thing is no gas or 2 cycle oil to purchase.
How long will the battery last? A new 58v battery is around $147. So that is the big unknown.
I bought the Stihl

Yes. Battery technology has improved greatly over the past few years. As I said in my previous post (2nd post in this thread), I like my Milwaukee M18 better than my gas-powered Stihl.... For me, I am sticking with Milwaukee. And, as other tools I have die (or their batteries), I will switch over to Milwaukee. I think they are the industry leader. Just my opinion. I'm sure others may think differently.
I reviewed that post. The photo and the fact it's preferred over a gas saw really makes me want to look into a battery powered saw and the brand.

I got into Dewalt tools through a gift set and just kept with it, but that Milwaukee saw is a lot nicer than the Dewalt chainsaws. I hate the "tool less" chain tensioning and lack of bar studs and nuts on the DeWalt cordless chainsaws, so I'll probably end up with a Stihl or Husky when I go with a cordless saw.

I wouldn't necessarily trust a video where the chain hanging off the Stihl is so loose, it's about to start wrecking stuff. My guess is if the idiot can't tighten the chain even semi-correctly, he's likely not to know how to sharpen it.

Reactions: salecker