Bay State Bonanza - cheap firewood cover

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stegman

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2011
Sterling, MA
Hit the motherlode on rubber roofing to cover my stacks this weekend. This guy in Shrewsbury MA is selling used stuff for 10 cents a square foot.

http://worcester.craigslist.org/mat/2650157480.html

The stuff is in good shape because the material wasn't laid down with any adhesive. They just had it weighed down. I picked up four 4x18 pieces and two 2x9 pieces. Grand total was $32.

Hurry! Won't last! The guy only has 31,000 square feet. ;-)

Stegman, are you going to screw that down to the top logs?

I would love to get me some, too bad it is 83 miles one way for me.

Backwoods Savage said:
Stegman, are you going to screw that down to the top logs?

Wasn't planning to. Was just going to toss some cinder blocks and a few logs around the corners/edges and hope for the best. That's what I did last winter with tarps and it worked OK. These are heavier.

My one concern is that I have gaps between my stacks - probably about a foot wide. I'm a little bit worried about saggage in the areas above the gaps due to rain/snow, so I was thinking of running a few 2x4s perpendicular across the stacks underneath the covers to help support them.

Status
Not open for further replies.