Be careful around your wood stacks!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Egghead

Jan 18, 2013
Williamson, GA
Restacking some firewood today and looked down to see this guy staring at me. Needless to say he almost put a damper on my day....snake wasn't quite as lucky. Lesson learned is to be a little more mindful of what could be crawling around my stash- careful everyone!!
nutudu5e.jpg

Reactions: Fred Wright
Eewww, gross!

When I had the server farm and my office in the basement I was going over to the stairs to go up and get coffee one morning and one was coiled up on top of one of my HP servers keeping warm.

Reactions: 7acres
I'm not a snake guy... copperhead?

Yes- he had to go being a Copperhead. I have a 2 yr old running around and another due in October. Not going to take any risks in that respect. On the flip side- he was a beautiful creature and I hated having to get rid of him. Any king or chicken snake is welcome around here though.

My GF absolutely hates snakes. I haven't told her that the wood stacks are a a place the snakes like to hang out.

Found this on the web, look who's hanging out at the wood pile. My experience with copperheads is they don't even try to get away, they coil up and strike and the strike is very fast and with a long reach, very aggressive, don't need them on this farm.

Attachments

• copperhead.jpg
    copperhead.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 868
Reactions: osagebow
1929083_1038112194706_3027480_n.jpg That's a dark one, Egghead. Almost looks like a moccassin. Could be prego, they have live young in late July/August, but are generally very thick compared to non - vipers. They can be very aggresive, but I've seen calm ones, even on a hot day. Didn't see one in the garden and spent 2 days in the hospital with a mickey mouse hand.

Heard some Barry White coming from the yard edge and found these copperhead lovebirds one spring. Find out what your local milk snakes and king snakes look like, they are harmless but can eat smaller copperheads. Milksnakes and kings are highly variable, so check your local listings.

Attachments

• 1929083_1038112194706_3027480_n.jpg
    1929083_1038112194706_3027480_n.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
Born and raised in Texas, rattlesnake county. And by a Baptist preacher Dad. I totally subscribe to the biblical "Smite its head and smite your heel." thing. I smite the head and do identification later.

Last edited:
Reactions: osagebow
My GF absolutely hates snakes. I haven't told her that the wood stacks are a a place the snakes like to hang out.

The Wood Pile Panther never lets them get over a couple of inches long. She calls them snacks. Not snakes.

woodpile panther.jpg

osage, It looks like you are correct, at least on the photo I posted, look at it's round pupils, poisonous snakes have slitted pupils. Dang, I knew that, but the photo was supposed to be a copperhead, just goes to show you, you need to verify everything you see on the internet.

osage, It looks like you are correct, at least on the photo I posted, look at it's round pupils, poisonous snakes have slitted pupils. Dang, I knew that, but the photo was supposed to be a copperhead, just goes to show you, you need to verify everything you see on the internet.
That IS a southern copperhead you posted. mine are northern copperheads. Pupils on yours are just dialated a lot. I didn't mean to imply yours was non venomous, or sorry for the confusion. I'll edit the post.

The Wood Pile Panther never lets them get over a couple of inches long. She calls them snacks. Not snakes.
We must have that cat's twin brother, it's simply amazing how many garter snakes he finds. I'm worried for the day he finds something bigger.

TE

Status
Not open for further replies.