Be carefull up the roof.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nate, we wish onto you fast healing! It is no wonder you have been in misery.

On the injury coming back to haunt you later in life, that is not necessarily so! I know a couple folks who have had broken backs. One still living and the other passed away a year ago. The one that is gone got the broken back in 1961, so lived almost 50 years with nothing coming back to haunt. The other is not that long yet (only around 20 years) but having no problems.

Oh, Nate - take care of yourself!

Shari

Sorry about the bad news Nate, but now at least you know what is wrong. This sounds like it could have been much more serious. Hope everything heals up quickly.

Adkjake said:
Just then I see my neighbor who lost his leg walking his dogs.

What in the world happened to him? How do you get hurt so badly walking your dog that it costs you your leg?

Backwoods Savage said:
Hey Snowtime, I agree. That is one reason I ride my bicycle several thousand miles every year....and I am a bit past the 65 mark.
Now I know why you split sitting down.. you're exhausted from all that bicycling! :bug:

Ray

NATE379 said:
Well I ended up going to the doctor earlier this week. Found out the results of the X-Rays yesterday morning and I have a broken back. :(

Wow Nate you must have dropped like a rock! Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery and Happy Thanksgiving! All things considered you have plenty to be thankful for..

Ray

200lbs isn't going to float, that's for sure!

Right now they aren't going to do anything, but I have to go back in 3 weeks to get more X rays and maybe an MRI. Right now I'm on all sorts of pills so it's not too bad. Then they will decide to operate or let it heal.

Was told if at any point I loose my bowels or loose feeling in legs to get to ER right away. That's pretty scary. I am not supposed to lift anything over 5 lbs. To think I was hauling 70lb bundles of roofing the week after I fell. Yeah it hurt, but I sucked it up. Guess that wasn't too smart.

It takes only one mistake to take a header; on a steep pitched roof it can be fatal.
This roof is a 10/12 pitch on a two story : too steep to just walk on it. Ladders are a PITA, unsafe, and take time to set up.

I have to do the 2 flues 1X/year, adjust the HD TV antenna, do roof repairs, or maintain the sat dish (internet). A local builder
recommended a roofer's anchor permanently screwed into the ridge. It has two 'biner-like rings to tie a climbing/arborist line onto it.
The 5/8" line is permanently attached to one ring, hanging down to the gutter eave for a hand hold up to the ridge. The line is then tied into
my harness ( climbing gear ) or you could use a tight bowline around your waist. Easy, safe, fast.

I don't do any roof work with snow, wet, ice, high winds. No macho. Never. A strict rule.

YMMV

nate - heres to ya! I hope you a speedy recovery! that is pretty wild that you were moving shingle bundles the next days! its kinda cool what you can do when you just have to get something done...take it easy and heal right!

Status
Not open for further replies.