Be carefull with your old dead ashes!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really paranoid about ash disposal since my daughters' friend had her log house burn to the ground and also lost her dogs and a litter of pups last year. Dad had emptied the ash can out along the edge of their property and everyone left for the day. Along came the wind, blew the ash into a hedgerow which then caught the house on fire from the back. Since they live on a little traveled road, the dogs and house could not be saved by the time it was noticed. I don't know the exact details (like if the ash had been sitting before he emptied the can, etc), but ours are in a locking lid, galvanized small trash can. They sit on a concrete pad until they are dumped on our burn pile, which is not until we need the can again. Still paranoid!

firefighterjake said:
coaly said:
I think my ash pile is the reason for global warming. It's kinda like a volcano inside.

Holy cow Coaly . . . how long have you been burning . . . and/or are you using a wood boiler or furnace . . . I've been burning for nearly two years now and have nowhere near that amount of ash . . . and yes . . . it does look a bit like a volcano cone.

I burn a lot of coal. 2 tons in the house a year, and about a cord of wood a year.

I heat the house with a Hitzer , and switch off other stoves in the center of my kitchen like changing underwear. (maybe more sometimes)

But I burn wood or coal in things that most aren't familiar with here. Like antique traction engines (big tractors), to thresh wheat, run a saw mill, plow. A stationary boiler for running stationary steam engines a few times a year........ a coaly is a fireman on a steam locomotive. That's what I used to do. So I play with big fire. Have no fear, when you dump an ash pan there is a injector that's used to put water in the boiler that picks up cold water in the tank and sprays it like a garden hose with high pressure. It's called an insperator when you use an injector for that though........ My JD loader has a one ton bucket, and I can get about two of them full in a year. There is about a bucket and a half there now.
I have over a mile of private road to maintain, so I use it around telephone poles, and fence posts where I need to keep the weeds down for electric fencing. Wood ash is potash and needed for vegitation (it's the 3 rd digit in fertilizer when you buy it, and used as lime in acidic soil) so I try to keep that separete for the garden. But coal ash has no value to plants, so by putting it around poles and fences, it slows down trimming and weed growth. So it all gets used.

DiBar said:
Really paranoid about ash disposal since my daughters' friend had her log house burn to the ground and also lost her dogs and a litter of pups last year. Dad had emptied the ash can out along the edge of their property and everyone left for the day. Along came the wind, blew the ash into a hedgerow which then caught the house on fire from the back. Since they live on a little traveled road, the dogs and house could not be saved by the time it was noticed. I don't know the exact details (like if the ash had been sitting before he emptied the can, etc), but ours are in a locking lid, galvanized small trash can. They sit on a concrete pad until they are dumped on our burn pile, which is not until we need the can again. Still paranoid!

Not so paranoid . . . a number of years ago my Thanksgiving Day Dinner was interrupted for a wildfire started by ashes dumped on the side of a field . . . the house was not in any danger, but it was kind of surreal responding to a wildfire in November since our wildfire season is typically in the Spring when it is starting to get warm outside.

coaly said:
firefighterjake said:
coaly said:
I think my ash pile is the reason for global warming. It's kinda like a volcano inside.

Holy cow Coaly . . . how long have you been burning . . . and/or are you using a wood boiler or furnace . . . I've been burning for nearly two years now and have nowhere near that amount of ash . . . and yes . . . it does look a bit like a volcano cone.

I burn a lot of coal. 2 tons in the house a year, and about a cord of wood a year.

I heat the house with a Hitzer , and switch off other stoves in the center of my kitchen like changing underwear. (maybe more sometimes) :)
But I burn wood or coal in things that most aren't familiar with here. Like antique traction engines (big tractors), to thresh wheat, run a saw mill, plow. A stationary boiler for running stationary steam engines a few times a year........ a coaly is a fireman on a steam locomotive. Ah . . . so that explains it . . . I just couldn't figure out what you were doing to produce that much ash. Your hobbies sound wicked interesting. That's what I used to do. So I play with big fire. Have no fear, when you dump an ash pan there is a injector that's used to put water in the boiler that picks up cold water in the tank and sprays it like a garden hose with high pressure. It's called an insperator when you use an injector for that though........ My JD loader has a one ton bucket, and I can get about two of them full in a year. There is about a bucket and a half there now.
I have over a mile of private road to maintain, so I use it around telephone poles, and fence posts where I need to keep the weeds down for electric fencing. Wood ash is potash and needed for vegitation (it's the 3 rd digit in fertilizer when you buy it, and used as lime in acidic soil) so I try to keep that separete for the garden. But coal ash has no value to plants, so by putting it around poles and fences, it slows down trimming and weed growth. So it all gets used.

Status
Not open for further replies.