Beech Off The Hill

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I cut up this downed beech on the side of a hill, rolled it down the back of the hill then split it along with some hemlOAK!

Most of the beech was good but I had a few of the bigger rounds that some of the inside was not so good.

Pic 7027 is on the backside of the hill where I rolled the beech down.

Attachments

• 100_7019.JPG
    100_7019.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 100_7021.JPG
    100_7021.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 100_7022.JPG
    100_7022.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 100_7027.JPG
    100_7027.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 100_7028.JPG
    100_7028.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 100_7035.JPG
    100_7035.JPG
    241.4 KB · Views: 132
nice lookin pile of beech Zap.....that will feel good on a January day.

Reactions: zap
Great stuff Zap as usual...yesterday I dug some Beech out of a pile that I had to split for this upcoming Winter-it was buried but I wanted it as I don't get Beech on a regular basis. Very dry already after sitting unsplit in round form since last year; kind of breaks off and doesn't split too clean on occasion, very "jagged" grain but great burning wood!

Reactions: zap
nice lookin pile of beech Zap.....that will feel good on a January day.
The wife likes burning beech so I'm always scanning the hills for it, seems to grow in the worst place.

Great stuff Zap as usual...yesterday I dug some Beech out of a pile that I had to split for this upcoming Winter-it was buried but I wanted it as I don't get Beech on a regular basis. Very dry already after sitting unsplit in round form since last year; kind of breaks off and doesn't split too clean on occasion, very "jagged" grain but great burning wood!
This stuff was popping when I split it, I did get some better beech today that I'll be splitting this week with the MTD 20 Ton, I'm sure there will be rounds that are tough to split.

The wife likes burning beech so I'm always scanning the hills for it, seems to grow in the worst place.

Because of the aroma?

Well, at least it would be the saws that go...

Status
Not open for further replies.