Been a while but recently finished a couple knives

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobUrban

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 24, 2010
Central Michigan
Here is a little paring knife I sent to a friend in California I call the Jalpeno Skinner
Gabesparing007.jpg

Here is what I decided to do with the Chainsaw knife - a simple cord wrap with a Black bear knuckle bead.
Bearbone004.jpg

And one I am really liking - it is a sushi knife with 9.5" blade and a 5" handle. I am still trying to decide what to use for handle scales on this one. African Blackwood is winning the debate on a knife site I frequent
Sushietch002.jpg

Sushietch001.jpg

Karl - if I am reading your question correctly then, yes. I took two pieces of chain, tacked them to a piece of 1080 flat stock and forge welded the chain into it. Then you shape the knife, grind, nomalize, heat treat then temper. After this you have a black piece of steel that somewhat resembles the knife you are trying to create. After that you final shape the blade and edge and do a lot of hand sanding with lesser and lesser grit wet sand paper before you etch the blade in acid to bring out the pattern.

You can also take 3-5 chains and forge weld them into a billet of solid steel and after the whole process described above you get a nice looking knife with a leopard type pattern but unless you are a knife maker there is no way to visually identify it's former existance as a chainsaw chain. The idea with this one was to keep the chain pattern in the blade.

You have some serious talent, great work. I am always in awe by some of the stuff you folks create and share on the board.

Excellent work! Your damascus is really coming along. I am jealous, as I haven't had the time for a while to spark up the forge. Keep them coming!

have my baby. I'll tell Delta that he's out.

Friggin amazing stuff Bob

Agreed, amazing knifery......but you can't steal my man from me so easy! Let the un-insulting name calling begin! Talented Guy!

Love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.