Fahrenheit Endurance Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DexterDay

I have finally decided to install the furnace in the basement. Was going to sell it after installing a Englander 30-NC woodstove this Fall. But after much debate, it is decided.. Its going in..

Drove to Kinsman Stoves and got my 4" venting Yesterday morning. Always a pleasure at Erics shop. Got to see the new CAB -50 heatilator. Its not just a BBB like the Big E or other models like that. It actually a good looking stove. Great looking flame and great heat output..

Anyways.... I got a good start this morning. Got the furnace downstairs and everything marked and lined up. I did not buy a thimble, as I am going through cinder block. Just as I was getting in the Groove... I received a phone call from my local hardware store (I was just there and rented an appliances dolly). They called to inform me I won there raffle. The raffle was for a Husqvarna chainsaw w/ hard case, bar oil, mix oil, and 2 hats. I was so happy I won.. Even though I have a fee chainsaws. You can never have to many. Drove up, returned dolly and had to do a Photo shoot. So......

I didnt get much done. But it has begun. After some more measuring, I dont think I am going to use the duct work that I received with it. Going to call the Company that installed the New Trane furnace and all new ductwork a few yrs back.

So this will be an ongoing thread and I will try and post a bunch of pics. I did the woodstove install and was pretty thorough with it. That way when someone searches for the Fahrenheit, they receive some of the info they are looking for. The ductwork may take a week or 2. As I have yet to contact the company. Until it made it to the basement, I thought what I had would work.

Here are a few pics. Just of the furnace sitting in its place. The idea is it will pull the hot air from the woodstove and circulate it throughout the upstairs. As its kinda hard now. If its above 40*, the woodstove can handle the duties.

Sorry to keep rambling. So excited about winning. Seems like I never win anything. Oh won a Ipod touch at my Christmas Party last night too.... Stoked!!!

More posts and pics to follow in the coming days/weeks. I want to done right and for the deal I got on it. I can stand to spend a few extra bucks on a Good install... And the Avatar to return to a Pellet Fire, rather than the Wood Eater...
Also a Pic of the Trane LP furnace thats going on yr 4 unused (once in Fall and Spring to make sure the burners work) still need the blpwer for A/C, but no heat needed.

Im good without Propane... Thank you very much. 2yrs and still about 50% in the tank. Used to use 3-4 tanks a yr ($3,800) now one tank every 3-4 yrs (still cook food with LP)

Attachments

• Endurance1.jpg
    Endurance1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,168
  • Endurance2.jpg
    Endurance2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,170
  • Endurance3.jpg
    Endurance3.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,158
  • Endurance4.jpg
    Endurance4.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,176
  • Raffle.jpg
    Raffle.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 1,163
Wow, Dexter! You are the man. I will be looking forward to the progress, as I very much enjoyed the NC 30 install.

By the way, how cold does your basement get if you don't have the stove going?

And what type of finish did you use on the concrete floors? they are looking really good. I want mine to look like that one day.

Well you got the pic part right, but technically it hasn't happened yet. :lol:

I will be following this thread closely . And by the way, congrats on winning those cool toys.

oldmountvernon said:
smoke show said:
Well you got the pic part right, but technically it hasn't happened yet. :lol:

hey i should get some notarity for your Sig too ! lol

Oops... I guess I can change it. Till its truley "finished". But it has started. Although not finished. And that much "has happened"! LOL

vinny11950 said:
Wow, Dexter! You are the man. I will be looking forward to the progress, as I very much enjoyed the NC 30 install.

By the way, how cold does your basement get if you don't have the stove going?

And what type of finish did you use on the concrete floors? they are looking really good. I want mine to look like that one day.

Basement stays about 60* with no heat. The 30-NC can get it to 90* real quick..

I will try to be as thorough as the Woodstove install.

As for the floors, its 2 layers of Battleship grey paint. Just regular paint. Last coat was 2 yrs ago. So it dont look to bad. The light shines and makes it look better than what it is....... Hoping to finish that part of the basement this Winter... Thats the plan with my "Winter inside time"....

DexterDay said:
Oops... I guess I can change it. Till its truley "finished". But it has started. Although not finished. And that much "has happened"! LOL

:lol: :lol: ;-)

Thanks for stopping by. I enjoyed a couple of the Great Lakes you left, thanks. Congrats on the saw.

Thanks again
Eric

Nice picts dex, Puppy dog has a look of "Oh No, Not another one of those contraptions that makes noise!"

I tried something with my wood eater. Once the basement was warm I hotwired the convection blower on the Omega to force the heat upstairs. Worked pretty well, Sucked all the heat out of the basement and pushed it upstairs. Just a trial in case I run out of pellets, Like that will ever happen! ;-)

Keep us posted!

kinsman stoves [email said:
[email protected][/email]]Thanks for stopping by. I enjoyed a couple of the Great Lakes you left, thanks. Congrats on the saw.

Thanks again
Eric

Thank you Eric. Your prices cant be beat! Always a pleasure....

Jay.... The Fahrenheit has a manual switch on it. So the fan can run without the furnace running or at your desired on and off temps. Wont get much time tonight or tomorrow to work on it. Kids keep me pretty busy.

Looks like a great plan. You have got me thinking - it would be nice to supplement my stove with some warm air to the rest of the house. I like the way they show it hooked in parallel with an existing furnace. I have oil fired hot air so this would be ideal. What's something like that go for? I see a used on one Craig's for $2600...

I picked mine up for $2,000. The guy thought it was broken. Wasnt heating real well.

It was completely plugged up. 5 tons and nothing but firebox vacuuming. Came with ductwork to hook into my existing HVAC (not using) and also a bunch of 3" pellet vent (not using / manual specifically states the use of 4"). So I have $2,371 in it right now. ($2,000 for furnace and $371 for vent)

Dealer by my house has a new one for about $4,000 (i think/maybe less).

I am hooking into my existing HVAC. Only way to go with a furnace. Although this model does have a plenum they sell that goes on top, to turn it into a freestanding unit.

Has a great auto clean system (little loud) and a hopper that holds a little over 100 lbs.

Pretty nice. Although the St. Criox Revolution and the Harman PF-100 are great units also..

Tried to do a little tonight. But got nowhere. My son has Boy Scouts tomorrow, so not much gonna get done then.. Hopefully Wednesday I will be blasting a hole in my block wall.

Looks good so far and Congrats on the winnings. While your luck is good maybe you should play the lottery or something. :)

PJPellet said:
Looks good so far and Congrats on the winnings. While your luck is good maybe you should play the lottery or something. :)

Already did that.... My luck wasnt good enough. LOL!!!!

Still have to go to work tomorrow.

Not to highjack the thread but I have a used Fahrenheit in the shop for sale. email or call for more details.

Eric

Here is the Damper set-up... There is a back-draft Damper for the Fahrenheit and when our new Trane furnace was installed (all new insulated ductwork also) after a house fire a few years back, they installed a few manual shut-off dampers. I still have to install the main trunk from the Fahrenheit to the North side main duct. I was going to have the installers of my trane do this, but I found the materials and it seems easy enough. I have done all my installs, along with a few friends and my fathers pellet stove. The dampers are there... And thats the hard part..

Attachments

• damper1.jpg
    damper1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 761
  • damper2.jpg
    damper2.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 742
  • damper3.jpg
    damper3.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 751
  • damper4.jpg
    damper4.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 753
Also laid down some brick pavers.. Our basement flooded a few yrs back. This is what ultimately led to our house fire. We went a few days without power a few days and our basement flooded. i left some candles in the basement to watch the water level and keep an eye on the New back-up pump (Ran continuos for 2 days). After falling asleep on the fold out bed in the couch (In front of our Pre-Fab fireplace/only heat source), we woke to a house full of smoke. One of my candles had burned down and it had lit the plywood bench it was on (Shame on me).

Panic...... Never felt a feeling like that before in my life. Opening the basement door was just smoke and a large orange glow.

Long story short... No candles lit in our home now. And people wonder why I am quick to call out a Code violation.. Your home is a vulnerable aspect of your life. Losing that can be devistating. we had damage in the Tens of thousands of dollars. So I now try to keep anything off the floor down there.

Having the battery back-up sump pump has saved me a few times since then....

Nothing to do with install really. Just had to rant. Not many here know about the fire.

Attachments

• pavers1.jpg
    pavers1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 747
  • pavers2.jpg
    pavers2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 736
I have blasted the hole in the wall tonight. I didnt have enough time to finish it before the kids went to bed (Dont want to make a lot of noise, as the Furnace is right under there rooms).

I have 1.5" of clearance between the pipe and the top of the cinder block. Which is more than the Pipe Manuf suggests (by a 1/2"). I am still going to install a steel plate above the horizontal pellet vent. Even though the vent is about 4"-5" above the insulation, I am still Paranoid (You would understand if your home caught fire because of your own stupidity).

So all I have to do is seal the Stove appliance adapter, then seal all joints, and finally install the steel plates I have made to "finish" the holes on the inside and outside. I have 2 plates that are about 8" x 8" and I have a 4.75" hole cut in them. It will look like a thimble once installed. Because I went through block and exceeded CTC I didnt buy a Thimble.

More pics to come later. Just trying to be as Thorough as possible. I cant wait till its all done.

I have yet to burn 7 bags of pellets this year. There is a frost laying down tonight and the Quad has not kicked on yet. The woodstove on the basement does a pretty good job. It will kick on soon, but has not yet. Just now 70*. T-stat is set at 71* with a 3* swing.

Attachments

• hole1.jpg
    hole1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 763
  • hole2.jpg
    hole2.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 742
  • hole3.jpg
    hole3.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 744
  • hole4.jpg
    hole4.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 744
  • hole5.jpg
    hole5.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 723
Oh.... And the one last thing that may make a few people happy??? The return of the Fahrenheit Avatar. I have had the Woodstove going for the last 2 months. Tiss the reason I have not even burned 10 bags pf pellets. It was "New" to me. Now the Fahrenheit is in, I can finally bring it back.

3 pellet stoves and a woodstove.... Pellet stove wins by majority. Wont change it, unless I find something online like j-takeman's or imacman's Avatar.

Doesnt matter much to some. But it does for others.

Question about the setup; Is the 30 heating the basement and the furnace will heat the main flooring via ductwork and/or registers?

Congrats on the saw...Is that a 455??? Hope you don't melt your house, your family must love to be hot!! Nice looking dog too!

BrowningBAR said:
Question about the setup; Is the 30 heating the basement and the furnace will heat the main flooring via ductwork and/or registers?

I was originally getting the 30-NC for a back-up plan when the power failed. When we lose power bad things used to happen (i.e.-flood, fire, etc). And our Pre-fab fireplace was the only source of heat. We slept on the fold out couch and hung a blanket up in the hallway to keep the heat in the Living room/Kitchen area.
I can use the 30 by itself till around 35* outside. That may still be because I am learning, the R-19 in the floor joists, or lack of a "Good Wood" to burn yet. All my Oak was cut this year. I have Ash (saving for the coldest), Elm, Silver maple, some Cherry, and 2 different types of pine. Burning mainly pine and silver maple.

As for the Fahrenheit. Yes, it will be tied into existing HVAC to blow throughout registers upstairs. It has a self cleaning mechanism that allows the stove to keep fire and.continue to produce heat, while it scrapes the burn pot.

I should be done by this weekend. Turkey Day means I am going on a 2 hr car drive in a few minutes. Wont be home till late, so no work done today.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. Eat well, Drink well, and Nap..........

Eatonpcat- No, Its a 235 w/ a 16" bar. I currently have a 455 Rancher and love it. Although I use the 036 for almost everything. Thought about giving the saw I won to my Uncle. He has been burning wood for years and has no saw. Because of me, this is the 1st year he doeant have to buy wood (gave hime almost 2 cord and let him borrow my Saw and Splitter).
I won the Saw from Farm & Home in Wellington. Had to do a "Photo Op" as they called it. Great people down there. Really like that place.

Because it was Thanksgiving today, I didnt get much done. We were in Youngstown at the In-laws all day. Got home about 7. So I had enough time to Fab up my Home made covers. To make it look like I have a Thimble.

If I didnt do this, I would have to mortar or thinset the pipe in the wall. Now I can just use Tap-Con screws to hold the plates and then a small bead of silicone to seal.

I still need to run the Romex from the Main Circuit Breaker Panel to the Stove. Also have to finish the HVAC. I bought a 7 day Programable T-stat from Lowes (Hunter brand/All touch screen). Still need to run the wires for it.

I only got today off. I have to work tomorrow and the weekend straight through to next weekend (Bummer). So this may take a little longer than Id like. But its Progress. Something I was not making before.

Still need to paint and drill holes in the plates. But I got something done. As long as I do a little everyday..........

Attachments

• homemadethimble1.jpg
    homemadethimble1.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 661
  • homemadethimble2.jpg
    homemadethimble2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 654
Hurry up!

call in sick.

your killing me waiting all this time.

j/k, looks great, keep the pics coming.

Status