1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

BEES! Que Chris Farley and David Spade running around swatting themselves...

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by donatello, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donatello

donatello Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I got just over 2 cord of red oak off Craigslist, but not without issues... The tree was down and mostly cut to log length. I started bucking it, then put my Makita 6401 down behind me to roll a log. I stood up when I noticed something on my forearm. It was a yellow jacket and he got me... No big deal, but I knew he hadn't arrive alone... I turned to get my idling saw and there was a huge swarm around it . Another guy that also answered the craigslist ad,was prepared with bee spray. We went through a bunch of cans. Unless you hit them (and drown them) they didn't really care. We finally got the wood, but were sort of puzzled by the ineffectiveness of the bee spray. We used a few different brands, although they have the exact same active ingredient and amount... What do you all use that is effective???

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    I use any brand name fogger type spray...like Raid. Sure they look OK but once they're sprayed it's over...it's like nerve gas to them.
  3. PunKid8888

PunKid8888 New Member

Loc:
    South East NH
    what ever is cheaper/on sale at the time.
  4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    To get them in flight, I use dish soap and water in a garden sprayer.
  5. mike1234

mike1234 New Member

Loc:
    Colorado
    I use something that foams, so they can't fly once they are hit. Not sure of brand name, but get it at wally world or ace hardware usually.
  6. slayer7

slayer7 Member

Loc:
    CT
    If you want to knock down the b@sturds really fast, nothing beats automotive brake/parts cleaner spray. One shot and they drop stone cold frozen dead on the spot and that's that. Disclaimer: Most brands are flammable and the fumes are strong so only use outdoors. Upside: evaporates quickly and leaves no residue.
  7. JerseyWreckDiver

JerseyWreckDiver New Member

Loc:
    North/West New Jersey

Hah, I use a can of starting ether and a match or plumbers torch! Big ball of flame, takes em right out of the air. {Legal disclaimer: Don't try this at home}
  8. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    solo back pack and any insect control that's on hand
  9. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Thats funny, I was messing with some Red Oak the last couple days and I noticed the Yellow Jackets were everywhere, maybe they are attracted to the smell?
  10. Archie

Archie Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I think there's something to that, I've had the same experience on a few occasions with red oak.
  11. johnsopi

johnsopi Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MD near DE&PA;
    I got a crab apple and after it was cut there were Y.J all over the cut pieces. Had to kill Y.J nest in ground by my woodpile used the foaming stuff.
  12. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I had a bunch of YJs buzzing around when I was splitting last weekend. Never did figure out where they were coming from and I think they were attracted to the smell of the fresh splits. No stings.
  13. mbcijim

mbcijim Member

Loc:
    Schuylkill County, Pa
    if it is a ground nest i use ample lighter fluid/gas/diesel/anything flammable and a piece of burning cardboard on the end of a stick.
  14. TreePapa

TreePapa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Calif.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.