1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains

i didnt metion that you should keep the garden hose close?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Uhh, no...you missed the fire hose. ;-)
  3. mtarbert

mtarbert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maryland
    Being a painter.....I always tuck my pants into my socks.......except the one time yellow jackets made it up my paints and came too close to stinging Mike jr. and the twins........
    Mike
  4. HarryBack

HarryBack New Member

Loc:
    Western Massachusetts
    Yup....surfactant is actually short for Surface Active Agent. It quite simply changes the surfact tension of the liquid its mixed into.
  5. ourhouse

ourhouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Franklin Ma
    Last year I about 95' in the air hanging off our crane takeing down a very large pine in Wrentham, I was having operator boom me down to set the sling I went right into a white faced hornets nest. Which was about the size of a basketball!! FUN. After I finally got the crane operator to put me down, I got luckey and only got stung about 10 times. I stabed myself with an epi pen and off to the hospital we went. I dont like bees in trees very much.
  6. suematteva

suematteva New Member

Loc:
    Rutland, VT//Southern Quebec
    Coaster was it that farm around Paul smiths?
  7. AKFireMan

AKFireMan New Member

Loc:
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    We have had a terrible time with yellow jackets this year. In our city alone we have had 6 people die from yellow jacket stings. They are everywhere. I have been stung 4 or 5 times this myself. They seem to have cycles and every 5 or 6 years there seems to be an extraordinary amount around. Went up the river fishing the other day and I counted around 30 basketball sized nest just along the riverbank.
  8. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    Coaster

Tell me it was a Model L gravely? I have so many good memories of riding my grandfathers '42 Model L. That tractor ran from the day he bought it in 1942 until the day he sold it in 2001. We used it for EVERYTHING from cultivating the garden to hauling wood and cutting the lawn.

What a beast it was. I would love to find another one- Unfortunately with his arthritis it became too hard for him to yank on the leather strap 5 or 6 times to get her running. We went out and bought an agway lawn tractor :-(
  9. tradergordo

tradergordo Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Phoenixville, PA
    Another easy and cheap way to destroy a nest/hive is just to pour a cup of gasoline on it. Aim for the opening but try to soak the nest and not the ground or anything else. Gasoline is EXTREMELY toxic to bees and they will all die including those returning to the nest.

Not sure if you want to throw gas on your woodpile though :)
    (and no, I didn't say to LIGHT it! The gas will evaporate on its own)

But as others mentioned, leave the "good" bees alone. I actually started raising mason bees this year to pollinate my apple trees. Also had a surprise swarm of honey bees this year which I gave to a local bee keeper.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.