Before & after chimney cleaning pictures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
Here are a few before and after pictures of my chimney cleaning today. Temp was about 56*F so why not before then next cold snap. In some of the pictures you can see the small pieces of creosote/ dust floating up and out. I stand up wind so I don’t get full of dust
d3a104309f41095bcdb7492305ee53b6.jpg7e3bb23197e9567abdee9509f7b52344.jpg5afbcb45d3d671a24c3eb8d68f497d6e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. That's keeping the buildup under control for sure.

There is nothing wrong with cleaning your flue to keep it nice and clean, but after looking at your pictures I want to share with you that the amount of soot and ash in your photos aren't really something that needs cleaning. I say that so that you don't get the false impression that a flue looking like yours needs sweeping.

There is nothing wrong with cleaning your flue to keep it nice and clean, but after looking at your pictures I want to share with you that the amount of soot and ash in your photos aren't really something that needs cleaning. I say that so that you don't get the false impression that a flue looking like yours needs sweeping.

I try in mid season to get up on the roof to check and clean. It just gives me a piece of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try in mid season to get up on the roof to check and clean. It just gives me a piece of mind.

if it's easy to get on the roof safely then there is nothing wrong with that, piece of mind is priceless

What do you mean by that? Can you describe your system because many can be cleaned from the bottom up in tact and many that I clean top down still have to come apart to clean out a connecting pipe?

What do you mean by that? Can you describe your system because many can be cleaned from the bottom up in tact and many that I clean top down still have to come apart to clean out a connecting pipe?

Sorry, that was meant as a joke, which probably wasn't very helpful to the thread - replying to edyit's use of "piece" of mind vs. "peace" of mind

Reactions: Squisher
Ahh. Still on the first cup of coffee today. I'll get up to speed before to long. Lol.

Reactions: illini81
i should give mine a check one of these days. i should have done it when i didn't have a fire going....

I did the same thing yesterday with the nice mild temps near 60. All in all, it was a pointless task. I got MAYBE a half cup of soot out. Like you said, peace of mind is nice. Knowing this though, I doubt I'll clean until next year. I'm burning less than prime seasoned wood (probably 20 to 28% MC) so I would've thought it'd be worse. Guess I thought wrong.