Before I knew it I was working on 2014-2015

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
The family and I went to Kings Island Friday and while we were there a huge storm blew in. As we were leaving our neighbor called and said we had no power and two trees down. When we got home I found that one of the trees was a dead tree I've been wanting to take down. The other was a huge hickory that I never planned on bringing down. It was standing next to my metal "bivouac" shed and fell away from the shed coming to rest 5 feet from my stacks! (made it easy to move it to my splitting area) The only thing that happened was the roots opened the door as it fell, not a bit of damage to anything. I will try to post pictures tomorrow.

The next morning my buddy that lives down the road came down with a generator and got our chest freezer (I didn't want to lose the 3 deer inside) and fridge back on line. He and his son came back down at 5 and we worked until dark getting the tree on the ground. My girls and I finished the branches out today. The brush pile is about 20'x15'x5'.

The girls and I measured the tree, it was 105' tall with no signs of problems, solid as a rock. Sad to see the matriarch go but it's going to make some warm fires in 2014-2015.

fv

it was 105' tall with no signs of problems, solid as a rock.

Sounds like that will keep you warm quite a few nights. I guess the landing was at least as well placed as if you had taken her down yourself.

Lots of nasty weather happening in your area.
Glad no real property damage happened.
Hickory is one of the best wood you can get ;)
Talk about an easy scrounge, next to the stacks.
Better to be lucky than good sometimes LOL :)

Got power back yet?

Glad you had no damage, thats a nice size tree, sometimes good comes from storms.

Lots of people around me within a few miles dont have power and they say it may not be back on untill friday. there
were a few people around me that had trees blow over. sorry for the loss of your tree. It allways sucks to lose somthing that can't be replaced. I'm fortunate to have no damage from the wind, and only lost power for a couple seconds.

I'd be happy to find a hickory up here. To find one dropped next to my stacks? Priceless :)

*edit* But i agree, it sucks to lose a landmark tree on your property.

Here are some pics:
IMG_1613.jpg

The top of the shed is over 10':
IMG_1612.jpg

Everything except the main trunk:
IMG_1638.jpg

This was standing dead and ready to burn:
IMG_1639.jpg

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
A few as we worked on it:
That's how close it landed to my stacks:
IMG_1637-1.jpg

The brush out of the way:
IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1635.jpg

I would call that a 'God drop'. Is that you smiling in pic 3? I would definitely be smiling too :cool:
Looks like there might be some nice long straight logs out of that. Do you do any woodworking?

Yeah, that's me. All you can do is smile and besides it was fun with the exception of the 96::Ftemps. I was sad at first but then I realized that God made the tree and He took the tree (plus there's a lot of fire in that thing.) With this tree close to 1/3 of my stacks will be hickory. No, I don't do any woodworking....I like my fingers right where they are.

fv

Reactions: DexterDay
Mother Nature trying to show you how to fell a tree in the right direction. Just forgot to notch it the way we do. Lots of good firewood there and not much work to get it to the stacks. Very nice.

Give a yank on that branch next to your wavy hand.
More firewood.:cool:

That one actually came down in another batch of wind that came through last night. Nice long branch from a cherry tree already cut to length and seasoning away >>.

fv

Reactions: PapaDave
Status
Not open for further replies.