Before there were chainsaws.......................

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a bunch of these old logging photo's, thought I'd post some of them up here now & then, just to show what some of "the old guy's" had to go through to get a little wood. My Pop's was a "real deal lumberjack" back in the day, he worked up in Ft. Bragg area, northern California. Told me the MAIN reason he went that route was that he "heard" they fed the guy's REALLY well !! :)

Attachments

• 35 A.jpg
    35 A.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 237
I've read logging stories where they would eat over 7K calories a day and still lost weight. And those were stories of ADK trees, not the big stuff you have out west.

That's me & my oldest grandson when we were up in Idaho a few years back. First day I let him use a chainsaw, AFTER watching me for a years or so. He's 12 yrs. old now, run's the log splitter here at the ranch today, loads the split wood in the bucket of my Ford tractor, drives it over an STACKS it in the woodshed for me. I gotta MAKE him take the money I pay him , say's, "but Poppa, THIS is FUN STUFF, I'll do it for free " :)
189197_1832137333773_434374_n.jpg

I've read logging stories where they would eat over 7K calories a day and still lost weight. And those were stories of ADK trees, not the big stuff you have out west.

Yes, we DO have some big trees out here ..................I talked to an old timer one time, told me about logging with all hand tools & horses etc., showed him this pic an he asked me if I knew what those glass bottles had in them ? told me it was most likely kerosene, the guy's would lube those big saw's with it to keep the sap from building up an slowing them down.
32.jpg A.jpg

Yup. There were some big ones and a whole lot of hard work.

Big-1.jpg Big-2.jpg Big-3.jpg

As for the 7,000 calories daily, I do not doubt that at all and probably some who got much more than that too. Shoot, on the Race Across America it is common to be on a 9,000 + calorie diet per day. And they lose weight at that too.

Reactions: Redlegs
it was something how they could predict how those monsters would fall...or maybe they didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.