Before your Harman ignitor went out...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you notice it taking longer to start a fire and did it take twice as many pellets to start it? I hace scraped my pot and all is clean but it takes twice as long to ignite and has started using twice as many pellets, heck sometimes almost overflowing burning pellets into the ash pan.

Thanks for any input

not usually.....its usually immediate....."worked yesterday, not working today"....they are either working, or not.....not usually an intermediate state.

Pat_M said:
Have you cleaned out the bottom of the burn pot after removing the small front panel?

Yes sir I have, it acts like the area to ignite the pellets has gotten higher on the pot. It is the original igniter on the fourth burn season. Nothing has changed or been tweeked on, so I am stumped.

Some igniters fail in just one section, so they don't get as hot. It's not always a total failure. If everything is clean and properly adjusted around the ignitor, you may have a partial igniter failure.

heat seeker said:
Some igniters fail in just one section, so they don't get as hot. It's not always a total failure. If everything is clean and properly adjusted around the ignitor, you may have a partial igniter failure.

Havent ever seen that with a harman Igniter.....when they fail, its usually all or nothing. They deflect with time, breaking the ceramic insulator, and causing the whole ignitor to fail.......a "good" ignitor will have 40-50 ohms of resistance, whereas a bad ignitor wont give you a reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.