Q&A Best brand of insulated chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am going to replace my current metal chimney with a new one. I have an older model V.C. non-catalytic Intrepid and the chimney goes through my ceiling- through about a 2' attic space and out to about 4' above my roof line. My question is what should I use for best performance vs price vs safety ? I've looked at Selkirk metalbestos- Duravent Dura-plus and Superior. Which is best- or do you prefer another brand and what are the differences.

Answer:

For your application- any of the class A chimneys will do. The Selkirk has the smallest outside diameter- so it may be easiest to install. There may be something to the "Dura-Plus" fire safety claim- but I've sold Selkirk and other packed chimneys for 18 years with very few problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.