Best, cheapest wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really sure why folks are saying 400 sf isn't worth heating with wood, since you already have the pipe in place. Maybe saving lots of money makes sense, but saving only a little does not?

It really depends on whether you like the toasty hot-heat of a wood stove and how cheap you are with the non-wood heat. Personally, I like the feel of wood heat and like to be HOT in the winter and I like to NOT spend money on oil or electricity, so putting in a small stove would be a no-brainer for me (unless the room was super-well-insulated). I'd be on craigslist seeing what's out there... it's not unusual for people to be cheaply selling good-condition smaller stoves like little Jotuls (whether newer or older) in order to upgrade to whole-house heaters.

Reactions: beatlefan
agree.... pick up a used whatever of craigslist and have at it

Vogelzang boxwood stoves are very useful.

box stove mailbox1.jpg

I would go Englander 17vl or model 12fp, do some research

ESW discontinued the 12-FP two or three years ago. Thank goodness.

I would go Englander 17vl or model 12fp, do some research

Going to be hard to find a less expensive stove for a small space with better clearances than the 17. Perfect fit IMO.

Only if placed in a traffic path which would be bad idea. No worries though it sounds like there is baseboard heat already in the room.
Oil filled heaters are very safe. Even if you touch it at max setting, you won't burn yourself, and it silent.

Use the money for A/V upgrade, you can always get better sound/video.

Last edited:
One of those old jotul 602 they heat up quick and nice and small

+1 on Englander's 17 probably being the cheapest small stove. PE and Morso both make small firebox stoves but being cast iron I wouldn't consider them inexpensive.

Dunno what your electric costs are in Colorado but at 27¢ /kwh here you have to be fairly desperate to plug in a oil-filled electric heater and snuggle up against it when it is 10ºF outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.