Best fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris611

Dec 8, 2005
Hey guys, I currently have a 20+ year old preway fireplace. It came in a house that I bought a couple years ago. It has no blower or cold air intake and a smaller firebox. I would like to replace it and the chimney with a new fireplace. I use it almost every weekend during the fall and winter. I don't rely on it for heat, although I would like to capture any heat if possible. I like the fireplace for the ambiance. Can you guys recommend a good replacment fireplace and chimney to buy? It will be placed in the basement and the house is one story. I would like to install myself. Any info would be great.

Thanks
Chris

There are basically two types.....

Prefab fireplaces like what you already have there.....

and then

High-Efficiency units.

Here's the deal. In my experience, most of the units with double-wall air-cooled pipe would not make me happy. The reasons is that cold air comes down the outer wall of the chimney pipe and makes the metal fireplace ice cold when not in use. This may not be as bad in warmer climates.

So if we eliminate these units, we come to the many units on the market which are high-efficiency and use class A packed chimney. You will spend more money but you will get some amazing heat.

For an overview, look at:
http://www.securitychimneys.com/pages/fireplace/cat_high.asp?country=us

Notice how they have high efficient and mid efficient. Based on what you say, a mid-level one might make you happy. Many manufacturers make similar units - just giving you these so you can see the difference.

Bear in mind that the high-efficiency types can't (well, shouldn't) be operated with the door(s) open. Some might find that to limit the ambiance. The "mid-efficiency" types I've seen can be operated either way. From using two different low-to-mid efficiency prefabs with doors and blowers (replaced one so far with a high-efficiency), I can tell you it is possible to push plenty of heat out if you are willing to reload every hour.

I'm not up on current technology of the prefab lower (burn with doors open) types, but I will tell you that if you do purchase one of them, be very careful about burning with the doors closed. I popped the glass on mine before I put an insert into it, and a good friend of mine did the same. I clearly had too hot a fire in mine with some scraps from the wood working I was doing, but he didn't. Just firewood, and just coals at the time. Mabe some serious radiant heat did it.

My take is the high efficiency units not only produce more heat, but they are probably safer too. (Note: this is my opinion only here!!! Not factually based)

Thanks guys, that was the information I was looking for. I will have to do some searching on the internet to see what the price difference is between the mid and high efficiency. Sounds like the mid would be a good fit, but I will have to do some research.

Thanks
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.