Best freestanding stove for newbie?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Arutx

Nov 5, 2021
Kentucky
Hey guys, long time wood appreciator but only recently have I gotten the idea to add a freestanding stove to my house. Single-story ranch style home. I'm a bit budget conscious, but my home is only around 1500 sqft and I don't live above the snake line so I don't need anything insane. Would a freestanding stove from my local Tractor Supply Company do the trick for me? Would you avoid them like the plague? Somewhere in between? I like the way they look good enough, but I don't like that they don't have a cooktop. Suggestions welcome. Thanks In advance.

I suspect that if you are looking at the US Stove line up which seems to be mostly what is sold at the local TSC here in Maine most folks here will advise you to keep looking elsewhere as this is not a well loved stove over-all.

If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive stove Lowes carries Summer Heat and Home Depot carries Englanders which are pretty much sister stove companies. Regency and Napoleon stoves were also sold by some dealers as a less expensive stove line, while being relatively well liked.

Reactions: Arutx
I would steer you towards brands like Drolet and True North. They are a value brands of larger stove manufacturers. Good track record. Price is more than US stove and summers heat series but general consensus is they are better quality and offer the best value. I have a Drolet insert. Breakin fire this afternoon/evening

Here are some pictures of the droplet's...I am a newby too and will not advise you for I am only on my fifth burning with my stove but wanted to get pictures of what Ebs-p suggested with the pricing as well..Your 1500 square feet is a nice heating area to heat...If it is well insulated I found out this will make a difference as well...clancey

Reactions: Arutx