Converting a zero clearance into a freestanding alcove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kuipture

Feb 4, 2023
Canada
Hi all,

I recently bought a home which has an inefficient zero clearance fireplace in a 60” cantilevered chase.
I grew up with a freestanding wood stove and would love to be able to install one in our home.
Since we have limited space and would like to keep our tv above the fireplace, we would have to build an alcove for the freestanding stove.
With limited space, our best option is the Green Mountain 40. It allows a 51.25” wide alcove with a 56” high ceiling.
I would clad the walls with cement board and possibly tiles. My only concern is the ceiling. We want it as low as possible (for a tv) so 56” built out of steel framing and cement board. I would opt for the blower and rear heat shield on the Green Mountain 40.
We have a two storey home so the chimney would be approx 25’ high.

A few questions for anyone who may have gone through with an alcove like this.
Although I am meeting the minimum specs from the manufacturer, would you be concerned about excess heat in a more enclosed alcove like this? I am a little concerned about the alcove ceiling.
Do you have any concerns for the TV in this case? It would be separated with a mantle above the alcove ideally.

EFE99435-B28A-4446-A0B8-071EB75D3C5F.jpegC12A4F36-BEA0-46B1-B158-6CA99118646A.jpegCFB42EA0-6D49-49B3-858F-A2A4B0C81D11.jpeg

The concern will be mostly about clearances.

Would the ceiling be at the mantel level? Would the mantel be non-combustible?

It would be a good idea to add some Roxul insulation in the wall cavity behind the TV. Though this is a popular look, it's no a great location for a TV and may lead to some neck cramps.

The concern will be mostly about clearances.

Would the ceiling be at the mantel level? Would the mantel be non-combustible?

It would be a good idea to add some Roxul insulation in the wall cavity behind the TV. Though this is a popular look, it's no a great location for a TV and may lead to some neck cramps.
Hi Begreen,

I would be meeting all the manufacturer clearances.
Yes the ceiling would be at mantle level or the mantle would be slightly higher. I am tempted to angle the alcove ceiling to encourage convection.
The manufacturer does not say that a non combustable mantle is required but I think I would go with non combustible due to the amount of heat it will likely encounter.

I was planning to replace all insulation with Roxul. I would assume there is some behind the tv currently as that is our exterior wall.

Yes I agree it is not ideal for the TV but it is the only practical place for our living room setup.

Do you think a freestanding alcove wood stove is more efficient at heating then a high efficiency zero clearance? Are there any good zero clearance options that have similar heat output and efficiencies like a freestanding wood stove?

I was planning to replace all insulation with Roxul. I would assume there is some behind the tv currently as that is our exterior wall.
Will that section of the wall be replaced with metal studding? Or will the lintel just stay above 56"?

This is not necessarily more efficient than a good EPA ZC fireplace which also can have ductable heat outputs to adjacent spaces if it helps with heat distribution. Some modern EPA fireplaces have the same internals as their freestanding stoves. For the best heating, the alcove would be open up to the room ceiling height, but that would affect the TV location.

I did a similar thing. You'll have to open the cantilever area, pull the zc and you'll need new stove pipe, highly unlikely that class A is in place. All doable. My alcove height is 72". Cement board with tile applied. Roxul insulation. The top of the alcove does not get very hot. Stove has a blower. You don't have to tip the top, because as long as there are no obstructions or a lip, the warm, hot air will just spill out. I have single wall in my alcove, no issues. Side clearance and temps were more of an issue for me.

Reactions: Kuipture
The TV above is ideal viewing angle, when reclined and no scrunching neck forward as if were level. The blower and mantle will help deflect heat away as it rises.

Reactions: Kuipture
It's been done.. clearances are the number one thing to worry about. Best bet is to plan on a completely noncombustible build out..