Best location for stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mohawk

Oct 22, 2008
Mpls, Mn
I was hoping someone would have an opinion where the best spot to put another stove in our home would be . We have approx. 3000 sf. on 3 floors. Basement and 1st floor have the same amount-around 1200 sf. The 2nd floor has the bedrooms and bathrooms with the remainder. On the 1st floor behind the garage is our family room and I have a Lopi Freedom Bay insert installed. It does a great job of heating,-sometimes to much- but my home is older and doesn't have an open floor plan so it's hard to move the heat around. I try to move the air with ceiling fans to the foyer so it can rise upstairs, but it hasn't been very successful. I could put a stove next to the foyer in the living room, but was wondering if I should put it in the basement instead. We use the basement and 1/2 of it is finished. It is never very warm down there because of the way they originally ran the heat so we end up using a space heater most of the time. I have a living room, kitchen, bed and bath down there and it is a walk out basement. Anyone have ideas which would be a better use of the stove? If heat rises wouldn't the basement be a good choice? My furnace fan runs on DC so it is always running to help move air. Any thoughts?

Hi -

I'm wondering:

How much wood are you burning now?

How much it costs you, can you get more at a reasonable cost?

How well insulated is the basement?

How much the basement stove would be used?

If the living space is occupied a fair amount of the time and wood is'n hard to come by, a large stove (3 cubic ft. min. firebox) might make sense it could be fired a couple times a day.

That said, most basements are not insulated well and insulating tends to pay back quicker.

ATB,
Mike

Posting your floor plan would be pretty helpful.

You might want to consider a wood boiler or furnace as well.

Right now we go through less than 1 cord because I can't distribute the heat around the house very well. We live in MN, so I assume the finished part of the basement is insulated well. The walls seem fairly warm in the winter-definitely not as cold as the outside.We use the basement daily so it would be nice not to have to use a space heater anymore. As for the furnace, we had that replaced 2 yrs ago with a Bryant 90i-very efficient and supplementing with a Carrier heat pump. The fan motor runs on DC and is always on moving air around the house. The ceilings in the basement are 6 1/2 -7 ' tall. The heat ducts are in the ceiling and not down at the floor-which is why it's hard to keep it warm with the furnace. I'll try to post a not to scale floor plan.

Attachments

• Image (3).bmp
    123.4 KB · Views: 159
lexybird said:
id get an indoor wood furnace

Sounds like a good idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.