Best mosquito repellant?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if I know I'm gonna be in the woods for a while, I load up on B vitamin and Iron supplements..they thicken your blood and make you less appatizing. I only use Deet products on ankles (socks and pant bottoms), elbow pits, just behind arms on shoulder blades and back of neck....the areas most targeted by biting savages. After Rocky Mtn. Spotted Fever I give no quarter to blood suckers.

I remeber hearing that the average human can only withstand about 250,000 bites in a 24 hr period before you lose enough blood to die....cover up out there.

Back in the 1960's I remember my Dad using a product called 6-12... it came in a spray for people, and in a tiny glass bottle that Dad would add to kerosene torches on the patio, Presumably it was some horrible stuff as I haven't heard of it in years.

The reason I mention it is I'm wondering if there's something similar that I can add to kerosene for torches today... citronella oil sold for torches is absurdly expensive when you have a lot of torches, kerosene is a lot cheaper but will it keep bugs away by itself? I now have a cabin just a few doors down from the one we had when I was a kid, and they don't send the spray truck with DDT around any more...

Thermocells is what they were talking about at work a few days ago, I need to find where they sell them.

Skin So Soft doesn't work at all. My Mom used to spray us with that stuff when we were kids... I don't think it worked on the bugs in Maine either. But just thinking of the smell right now almost makes me sick.

Repel doesn't really smell and it works pretty well.

This works:
mosqnet.jpg

Skin so soft works for the kid and I, the dragon flys have been doing there part. Plus the fire pit is usually going.

When I used to work on the golf course as a greenskeeper this is the stuff I used to combat the hordes of black flies and mosquitoes . . . smells like a combination of pine pitch, turpentine and moose pee . . . but it worked and worked well . . . plus it kept all the old lady golfers well away from me.

http://oletimewoodsman.com/

Reactions: bfunk13
Status
Not open for further replies.