Best MS 290 Chain for Ground Scrounging

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IanDad

Oct 5, 2009
Central PA
Gettn' ready to pull the trigger on a Farm Boss. Dealer can put on whatever chain(s) I want on the 18" bar. I will mostly be scrounging roadside utility logs, tree service dumps, and generally wood already down. Not a lot of felling...

I am somewhat of a newb, so the green chain seems to be a safe bet at first but I have also read that it really is not all that much "safer" if you pay close attention to where the end of the bar is.

Planning on getting a timberjack of some sort (probably a peavey w/stand) as I will be lifting unbucked logs up to cut them to 16" or so.

Anticipating cutting wood that may have been on the ground for a while. Lots of locust and oak here.. So, high density wood that is probably not real dry and most likely has dirt on it. Stock sprocket on the Farm Boss. Which chain will serve me best?

If you have ever had a circular saw kick back on you its pretty much the same thing. Mussel memory takes over once you feel it a couple times.

Ask for a 26rmc-74 or 26rsc-74. 26rsc3-74 is good chain if you think you want "green" chain. The rmc will stay sharp longer in dirty wood but the rsc chain cuts a bit faster. Those numbers are for .325 chain. If you're getting a 3/8" setup then you want 33rmc-68 or 33rsc-68. Great saw, enjoy!

Thanks for the advice.

With a month of straight rain, everything already on the ground has MUD on it and I suspect will have lots of grit on it for many months to come. Luckily the downed oak and locust seem not to rot too fast, but I'm sure all the moisture will speed that process up.

BTW, scrounging for 12-13 season.

smokinjay said:
Mussel memory takes over once you feel it a couple times.

I love mussels. I steam in a little bit of onion, garlic, and dry white wine. Delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.