Best Oregon chain for Husqvarna 372XP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To all who have helped: Returned from my Stihl dealer a short time ago. Brought my new starting bench into the service dept with me. They liked it and thought it might work. They also probably thought I was half nuts. Set the MS362 on the bench and started the saw numerous times with no difficulty. Bench releives all strain on my lower back. The procedure is simple and easy - similar to Gooserider's description.

Afraid to say more at this point. :zip: Might jinx and confuse my thought process. :-S

Closure is close but not quite there yet. Already made one small modification to the bench.

Still more to come.

Best, :)

John_M

^Holy cow you're pretty determined.

Closure, but not as I had planned.

Yesterday I purchased the MS362 w/ 20" bar and semi-chisel chain at the same trusted dealership where I purchased my Iron & Oak 27 ton splitter and my MS250 Stihl. The new saw started quite easily for me yesterday at the dealership and was easy to handle-nice balance. I asked the service tech. to start the saw first so I could watch him to be certain I could follow his example. All of my successful starts were during the next hour after he started the saw. His starting the saw first may have been the reason for my successful starts.

The rest of this written with my tail between my legs (picture a submissive coyote after giving in to a superior male). Upon returning home I let the new saw sit in the garage for a few hours while I had lunch. Tried to start the saw a few times yesterday afternoon and again today. As part of my pre-start routine I always check for bar oil and fuel in their tanks. These were ok. Then I did the regular start engine routine: 1) Engage chain brake; 2) Squeeze trigger control and trigger and move the choke to the full choke position; 3) Push-in the compression release; 4) Pull starter cord briskly 3-4 times to get fuel into the cylinder; 5) Move choke lever up one level to the half-choke/start positon; 6) Pull starter cord briskly until the saw starts. The most full pulls I could achieve before losing strength was ten or eleven. I couldn't get it to start. I flooded the saw a couple of times so I removed and cleaned the spark plug and blew out the cylinder. Still (nice play on words) no start. The problem belonged to me-not the saw. I was temporarily discouraged. However, all is not yet lost.

Here are my thoughts: 1) I will use this new saw to buck the truck load of logs; 2) Might have to use my younger and stronger buddy to start saw the first few times; 3) After break-in and during warmer weather the saw should start just a smidgen easier; 4) Practice starting the saw three to four times each day to develop more strength; 5) Let younger and stronger buddy use my saw as primary or back-up saw for some of the big wood he will be cutting this year. We frequently work together picking rocks (I drive while he picks) and cutting/splitting wood (I split while he cuts).

My younger and stronger buddy is coming over this afternoon to try starting my new saw. He has a Stihl Farm Boss and he starts it quite easily. So, starting mine should be a piece of cake for him. I will try starting it a few times after his first start. This should work. For some reason or other I think he will rub his hands in glee and enjoy malicious pleasure after his success and my failure. Isn't that what buddies are for?

Will post a quick follow-up after he leaves.

Thanks for the suggestions and best wishes.

A much humbled,

John_M

Younger and stronger buddy just left. He started the MS362 on the second pull. I was able to start if after that but with some difficulty. It seems I am not yet able to pull the cord fast enough to develop the rpm's needed for starting. I just returned from the basement after making an effort to start the cold saw. Was unsuccessful. I'll keep working on that shortcoming.

Again, thanks for the help and best wishes, good health to all.

John_M

The other BIG thing that I have found with saws and other OPE in general is that getting the "starting drill" down exactly correct is a big part of the issue - get the drill right, and it's an easy start, screw it up and any of us will spend a lot of time pulling... Warm start drill is less fussy than cold start, so that may be part of the issue as well... I've heard that Stihl's are fussier about the starting drill than some, don't know how true it is.

As a possible minor assist - is there any practical way for you to "pre-heat" the saw before trying to start it? Even if it is just keeping it in a warm place for a couple hours, that might help... Another possible assist, if used with caution might be a shot of ether / starting spray in the air cleaner...

Gooserider

John I didn't want to suggest this before but since you now own it why not try pulling it left handed. I had to do this for awhile till I got my shoulder fixed up. The pulling is OK but it's not as easy as it sounds at first. You have to rehearse the motions before firing it up for real cause you out of position...it seems you whole balance is off.

huh...can't recall my exact position but once I did it a few times I felt better about it...kind of hairy at first. Maybe you'll only have to do it lefty when its cold...warm engines are a lot easier to start.

Goose, I have moved the saw into my basement where the temp is about 55 °F year 'round. That is where my buddy started it yesterday. I might even use a heat lamp about 1.5" above it for about one hour for extra heat before I intend to use it. The heat lamp will require close monitoring because I am not certain how the direct heat or the UV? rays might affect the saw's plastic shroud.

The quick shot of starter fluid did occur to me but I temporarily closeted this idea. Horrible visions of me trying to squirt the ether, perhaps having to extinguish a resulting fire in case I screw up the squirting, release /apply the chain brake, and move the choke lever to the "run" position, all within a nano second got me chuckling at the vision. Un-closeting the ether idea might occur as a last ditch attempt at success, but only after discussing its practicality and warranty coverage with my trusted service tech at the dealership.

Savageactor, "huh" is right! I did indeed give this serious thought, even going so far as to attempt it on a "Let's see how it feels" basis. As you stated, it did feel very awkward and the necessary position placed my right leg too close to the chain for comfort. This is not a viable option right now.

Two other thoughts: 1) My new bench is working as well as I hoped it would. The platform is about 18" off the ground (might still lower it another 1" - 2" after more trials) and side rails hold the saw in a snug position-a real winner; 2) I would like to have had as much "success" starting the 16% larger 372XP after it had warmed up. My mind was set on getting that saw. However, things worked out very well. Both dealerships went out of their way to make me a satisfied customer and both gave me a terrific price break on the saw. Either saw is capable of performing the assigned task with great honor and both far exceed any ability I might have for the next hoped-for ten years of active cutting. At my age, speed and production are very secondary to safety, focus and enjoyment.

I will post in this thread again when I am able to start the saw on my own. Boy, will that feel good!

Thanks, best wishes and good health.

John

Final closure: It's a great day today.

Attempted to cold start the MS362 this morning but I was unsuccessful, again. It was close but still a failure. Buddy came down after lunch and started the saw with two pulls. We ran it for a while then shut it down. I started it on the first pull after a few minutes. This sequence of start-run for a while-shut down, went on for about 20 minutes. It started on my first pull each time. Final test about ten minutes ago. Saw had been resting for about 1.5 hours so starting it after that length of time would be very close to a cold start, I believe. So, I picked up the saw, went through my starting drill, placed it back on the starting bench, and gave the cord a goodly pull. It started immediately.

Will go through this cold start routine each morning and afternoon for about the next week or more so the technique is firmly embedded in my muscle memory. This will also be a good way to break-in the saw and chain. Wish I had some wood to cut. It will be delivered within the month.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and encouragement.

Best wishes,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.