Best part of owning a wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
best part is when power goes off don't have to worry about heat or cooking.taking a bath is possible but a rather long ritual lugging water from stove to tub but doable.
That's why I love my natural gas water heater. Pilot light and city water so even when the power goes out I still can take a hot shower, wood stove for heat and natural gas range top I can still cook on.

In our case you could feel the draft after 20 years with the wood slider. Good loss of heat. Some of the windows we replaced had trim rot that reached the window frame. All azek trim now no more painting. Resale of our home will also be higher with the improvements we made.
Yeah those sliders can be nasty. I still have the old metal framed ones in Utah. Yup it's cold and the 1st window door that's next on the replacement list. A few windows are those crappy metal sliders. I rebuilt 4 with custom double paned redwood. Got 2 more of those to go.

Reactions: Wildflush
Yeah those sliders can be nasty. I still have the old metal framed ones in Utah. Yup it's cold and the 1st window door that's next on the replacement list. A few windows are those crappy metal sliders. I rebuilt 4 with custom double paned redwood. Got 2 more of those to go.
Started having dry rot in the wood slider.

I bet your custom redwood windows looks great! We are replacing ours as needed.

Started having dry rot in the wood slider.

I bet your custom redwood windows looks great! We are replacing ours as needed.
Redwood windows are very simple rectangles, 4 clearstory ones. Fixed in place but could be easily hinged to open.

Reactions: Wildflush
Ellie and Kooper say this is the best part of owning a wood stove...I agree.

PXL_20231101_012900329.MP.jpg