Best pellet for a CAB 50? (hardwood vs softwood)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakes1976

Dec 1, 2014
Southern Maine
New to the site (hello!) and to pellet stoves. Just installed a Heatilator CAB 50 in our open concept living room/kitchen here in southern Maine. This will hopefully cut oil costs on our high oil bills (old inefficient forced hot air furnace). Chose the CAB50 due to a very tight budget and it appears to be an economical workhorse that I'm hoping will help wtarm up the house even with the cathedral ceilings. The seller threw in five bags of Maine Woods (think it was 65/36). I don't think they were bad, but I was hoping for a little more heat. I've been reading up on pellets trying to figure out what to get. It sounds like experiences vary a lot from stove to stove so I was hoping for some CAB 50 owners input.

I've been considering the following and would like thoughts on those plus anyone else's top picks...
Cubex has high ash from what I've read but I'd reason that if it's hardwood I should be able to feed it slower due to hardwood burning slower (although I'm surprised the manufacturer claims 9000btu since it seems the softwoods are the higher BTU providers) and hence get more mileage out of it for a cost savings in the long run... like I said, I'm new to pellets so maybe my theory is completely wrong? Thoughts?

Cubex 100% hardwood ($309/ton)... producer claims 9,000 BTU
Energex (around $7/bag)
Maine Woods (around $6.50/bag)
Okanagan Platinum softwood ($319/ton) distributor claims tested 8412 BTU
Spruce Point softwood ($304/ton) distributor claims tested 8700 BTU
La Crete softwood ($314/ton) distributor claims tested 8730 BTU

Don't pay too much attention to the reviews found on this forum. You will soon learn that folks either love or hate the exact same pellet brand. There are good softwoods and good hardwoods and good mixes. All brands will produce heat and ash and these factors will vary by brand of both the pellet and your stove. Buy a couple of bags of several different brands and types and give them a whirl. None will hurt your stove. Then, you can let us know what you find works best.

Reactions: Dpopps
Don't pay too much attention to the reviews found on this forum. You will soon learn that folks either love or hate the exact same pellet brand. There are good softwoods and good hardwoods and good mixes. All brands will produce heat and ash and these factors will vary by brand of both the pellet and your stove. Buy a couple of bags of several different brands and types and give them a whirl. None will hurt your stove. Then, you can let us know what you find works best.

Just what was said above.

I have tried 6 brands so far 2 being SW and if you want low ash and little cleanup that's the way to go. Burns great in our CAB50's. Try as many as you can find pick your fav :)

Status
Not open for further replies.