Best radiant heater and question about Regency catalytic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Correct, you can have high output and long burn times with a stove that has an adjustable burn rate, just not at the same time! Our range certainly has adjustable air intakes that can be shut down for a longer or overnight burn but you obviously won't be getting the same high kW heat output whilst it is shut down. My apologies, I wasn't clear enough about that statement. For my own interest do you have non-catalytic heaters achieving 40 hour burn times in the Northern Hemisphere? Blaze King is not currently available in Australia.
Absolutely things have improved and we would like to think our range is a prime example of that fact. We have three full time Research and Development engineers and an active R&D department so if there is not improvement I think there jobs may be shaky!

Thus far the only long burners are catalytic stoves. I have one of each, cat and non-cat, and can really compare the techs. The bigger non-cats can usually burn overnight.

Agree that high burn rates mean low burn times and low burn rates mean long burn times. The trick, and the good engineering, is getting the low burn rate low enough while still burning cleanly. Anybody can burn hot and fast.

I have had both the Nectre (Mega) and PE Neo 2.5 (insert) There is absolutely no comparison. The Mega used a lot of wood and only just managed an overnight burn. The Neo uses approx half the wood - smaller firebox and longer burn times, to achieve a very similar result.

The new Mega might be better if it indeed has the secondary burn tubes and has the flexibility to turn it down enough to extend the burn time without compromising the heat output. I took a photo of my old house using 2 heaters the mega (on the left) and a new EPA stove (on the right) they were both burning for the same amount of time using exactly the same firewood. A picture says a thousand words. Hopefully this has been addressed with the new design. Do you have a brochure of the new heater with the burn tubes?

CAM00495.jpg

Thus far the only long burners are catalytic stoves. I have one of each, cat and non-cat, and can really compare the techs. The bigger non-cats can usually burn overnight.

Agree that high burn rates mean low burn times and low burn rates mean long burn times. The trick, and the good engineering, is getting the low burn rate low enough while still burning cleanly. Anybody can burn hot and fast.
Exactly, there is a lot more to it than throwing some wood in and lighting a match! Thanks for the info, catalytic heaters are interesting.

I have had both the Nectre (Mega) and PE Neo 2.5 (insert) There is absolutely no comparison. The Mega used a lot of wood and only just managed an overnight burn. The Neo uses approx half the wood - smaller firebox and longer burn times, to achieve a very similar result.

The new Mega might be better if it indeed has the secondary burn tubes and has the flexibility to turn it down enough to extend the burn time without compromising the heat output. I took a photo of my old house using 2 heaters the mega (on the left) and a new EPA stove (on the right) they were both burning for the same amount of time using exactly the same firewood. A picture says a thousand words. Hopefully this has been addressed with the new design. Do you have a brochure of the new heater with the burn tubes?

View attachment 181638
Thanks for the feedback. The new Mega LE does not use burn tubes, it introduces secondary air from the rear of the firebox to burn the gases (smoke) resulting in a cleaner burn. It is compliant with the 2019 Australian Emission standards (of 1.5g/kg or less). The Mega LE is specifically designed to heat large spaces such as Rec. Halls or homes with large open areas and high ceilings because of the >25kw heat output. The Mark 1 or 2 are sometimes better options for standard domestic sized homes. Here is a link to our website with the new test info for the Mega LE http://www.nectre.com/#!nectre-mega/c6g1. The new brochure is not on the website yet but will be shortly, would you like me to email it to you (no pressure)?

Just a mention here,

We have units being tested for both Australia and the ULEB in NZ. It may be months before approvals are obtained, but we are on the way.....
Any update on the Blaze Kings coming down under? i'm in the market and want to cover all my basis before i pull the trigger.

Any update on the Blaze Kings coming down under? i'm in the market and want to cover all my basis before i pull the trigger.
We are scheduling with lab in Auckland to conduct testing very soon. However, if you need to make a purchase in next 6 months, you'll have to look for another brand.

Thank you...