Best thing I ever did!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yea, smokster.....I couldnt find a thing which says it is prohibited. The only issue *might* be if something ELSE trips the GFCI, then youre stove is out....but isnt that the case anyhow, breaker, fuses, etc? All I can tell you is that I couldnt find a thing on the harman manual prohibiting it.....but, admittedly, Im a babe in the woods as far as electronics go, so I defer to the many folks here with that kind of knowledge...all the manual says is "plug into a 120VAC, 60 Hz outlet"...thats it.

About the only thing I could think of would be wiring issue either in the outlet or in the stove (either one of which should be corrected anyway).

I do believe that very early on in the installation instruction Harman strongly recommends a surge suppressor. But I'm old and may be suffering a case of manual confusion and manufacturer misidentification.

To the OP a surge suppressor isn't anything like a GFCI and to mepellet it is likely the outlet that the stove is plugged into is protected by a GFCI outlet that protects a group of outlets which would appear as normal outlets.

Here's the vent.
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG

About the only thing I could think of would be wiring issue either in the outlet or in the stove (either one of which should be corrected anyway).

I do believe that very early on in the installation instruction Harman strongly recommends a surge suppressor. But I'm old and may be suffering a case of manual confusion and manufacturer misidentification.

To the OP a surge suppressor isn't anything like a GFCI and to mepellet it is likely the outlet that the stove is plugged into is protected by a GFCI outlet that protects a group of outlets which would appear as normal outlets.
It certainly would be good practice to do so, and might even help all those folks who fry their circuitboard with generators not generating a clean sine wave (dirty power)....we lost power for 8 days this past october with the unexpected snowfall, and many folks fried their board with those units....and they arent covered under warrantee, unfortunately, when that happens......

looks good, so long as that vent opening is over 18" off the ground, but like the OP said, its been approved by the inspector......hm....I think, in retrospect, I would rather have a straight jet cap, rather than a downaward one, but I dont know how the prevailing winds are on that side, so, looks pretty good....im totally nitpicking here!

Yes the GFCI outlet in the photo protects other normal outlets one of which the stove is plugged into.

If I am not mistaken (been a little while since I looked in the NEC) the only circuits in a house nowadays that don't need AFCI or GFCI are circuits that are direct connection equipment. Might be wrong though....

EDIT: upon further review ;) it looks like the NEC says that any circuits serving a living area shall be AFCI protected.

That is a nice stove! I love the porcelain finish (I think that is what it is called). Mine is just the regular black which looks good in my situation. Have fun!

The black ones are really nice too. We were going to get a black one then my wife spotted the one we have and that was that. Hope you like yours as much as we do ours.

If I am not mistaken (been a little while since I looked in the NEC) the only circuits in a house nowadays that don't need AFCI or GFCI are circuits that are direct connection equipment. Might be wrong though....

EDIT: upon further review ;) it looks like the NEC says that any circuits serving a living area shall be AFCI protected.

The last time I checked it was any room that was a sleeping room needed AFCI protection and the reason was because of the cycling on and off of electric blankets was causing problems that the AFCI could detect and prevent from causing fires.

Remember I'm old and may be misremembering due to CRS.

OK so you experts now have me believing that I also need a surge protector besides the GFCI. I now understand that they serve to different purposes. I have read that some cheapies are nothing more than multiple plug ins and don't do diddly to prevent surge. So can anyone point me toward a good surge protector that really protects.:rolleyes:

I know nothing about joules Smokey. How many joules would be considered high? Also any particular brand.

I like it!!:)

The last time I checked it was any room that was a sleeping room needed AFCI protection and the reason was because of the cycling on and off of electric blankets was causing problems that the AFCI could detect and prevent from causing fires.

Remember I'm old and may be misremembering due to CRS.
I think it is has been changed in the new version of the nec.

Nice choice!;)
That XXV looks awesome in brown....enjoy!

Looks great ..

OK so you experts now have me believing that I also need a surge protector besides the GFCI. I now understand that they serve to different purposes. I have read that some cheapies are nothing more than multiple plug ins and don't do diddly to prevent surge. So can anyone point me toward a good surge protector that really protects.:rolleyes:
I use the APC-UPS XS1300 it has a AVR (automatic voltage regulator) clean power and 30 minute battery backup. AK

Status
Not open for further replies.