Best thing to clean, shine the brass/gold door on stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfk4th

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 8, 2007
NY
I have tried Flitz and it worked OK, but is there anything I can do to get it looking really good. I have some tarnished spots and it is killing me, plus I would like it a little shinier since it is only a year old

Brasso and super fine steel wool worked for me.

MarkG

We always used Never-Dull in the military, impregnated wadding material works good to rub/buff tarnished areas.
Hank

Brasso here.
Works very well but I would wear rubber gloves and do it in an area protected from anything you don't want stained.
Can get pretty messy.

never dull workis well

Wizards' metal polish is just about the best stuff out there, though it might be a bit of overkill for a stove. It provides a show quality shine. It's Nevr-dull's old formula. It's pink and sweet smelling. Looks and smells exactly like cotton candy. I use this stuff for chrome, as well as the brass hardware and steel blades on my knives & swords. It works on just about any metal. A close second is Metal-glo, which is a lot messier because it's a paste rather than a cloth wadding product.

I would never use steel wool, nor anything abrasive on it. Once you scratch it, you'll play hell trying to unscratch it. One of my favorite metal polishes is "Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish". Works on just about any type of metal. Use a cotton terry cloth rag. Don't rub hard. If you can't find it, go to your nearest Harley dealer...they've got it. Brasso's the old standard, and works fine. Again, a soft cotton rag/towel is all you need. Nevr-Dull works OK, too. Soft cotton rag for the final cleanup of the haze. Rick

Your Avalon door is cast brass, and can be polished with any of the products mentioned in this thread (we have used Flitz, Mothers and Brasso with good results).

Your Summit door is a thin layer of 24k gold plating over nickel plating, and will scratch and eventually erode away if you use an abrasive polish: just wipe clean with denatured alcohol on a terrycloth towel.

thechimneysweep said:
Your Avalon door is cast brass, and can be polished with any of the products mentioned in this thread (we have used Flitz, Mothers and Brasso with good results).

Your Summit door is a thin layer of 24k gold plating over nickel plating, and will scratch and eventually erode away if you use an abrasive polish: just wipe clean with denatured alcohol on a terrycloth towel.

For tarnished spots would Brasso would OK, or just to shine it

thechimneysweep said:
Brasso's pretty abrasive. I'd be afraid it would polish off the gold. Whatever you use, go slow and gentle.

If I use Brasso for the Avalon cast brass that would be OK?

JFK said:
...If I use Brasso for the Avalon cast brass that would be OK?

No problem on the Avalon, just keep it away from the gold plated door on the PE. Rick

Just keep the Brasso off your black painted finish. I don't mean wipe it off, I mean never let it get on there in the first place. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.