Best "Tip" you've learned here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
- You always learn something new on this forum, so keep browsing
- If your stove has a blower, buy a timer to control the fan, dont rely on the thermostat
- Use some antiseize on your cap, it makes it easier to disaseemble when you clean
- Plus what everyone else has said

- Did i mention you always learn something new here, what a great thread this is

kenny chaos said:
Try to split squares instead of wedges. It stacks easier in the stove.

Much easier said than done when splitting by hand.

But this is very true if you have a hydraulic splitter.

CountryBoy19 said:
kenny chaos said:

Give it a few years of whacking them. Accuracy comes around about swing number 1,000,000. :lol:

(ya ever see the video of Quads? He could make shims with his maul if he wanted to)

Jags said:
CountryBoy19 said:
kenny chaos said:

Give it a few years of whacking them. Accuracy comes around about swing number 1,000,000. :lol:

(ya ever see the video of Quads? He could make shims with his maul if he wanted to)

Speaking of whom . . . anyone heard from him lately . . . haven't seen him posting much here lately . . . and I kind of miss his pics.

That is because he is not out cutting wood right now. It is hunting season and he does not want to bother the hunters. A true gentleman that quads is.

CountryBoy19 said:
kenny chaos said:

Just take the edges off first (planks), then you have a square, then you can make whatever rectangular pieces you need. That, at least, has been my experience. Now I do find it much easier to do with the Fiskars than with the maul. I have yet to use a hydraulic splitter... I'm afraid that if I ever do I'll never want to go back (sort of like high speed internet).

Slow1 said:
CountryBoy19 said:
kenny chaos said:

Just take the edges off first (planks), then you have a square, then you can make whatever rectangular pieces you need. That, at least, has been my experience. Now I do find it much easier to do with the Fiskars than with the maul. I have yet to use a hydraulic splitter... I'm afraid that if I ever do I'll never want to go back (sort of like high speed internet).

Right on Slow! Once you try it, you'll wonder why you thought you needed all that exercise. And yes, you can make squares or rectangles while splitting with an axe or maul.

Status
Not open for further replies.