Best way to bust out some clay liners?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
On a budget>?
I think they are pretty fragile if you tap with a hammer. When you go further down than your arm, affix hammer to your pole. Duct tape would work for a one time job.

If you have to go further than your pole will reach, I think there's a special tool that you can appoximate by putting a bend in some rebar and spinning it with your drill. The bend makes it wobbly, which is amplified by length of whatever you are dropping down the chimney. The wobbly bar strikes the fragile clay tiles and busts it up.

Oh if only Fossil was still around to read this . . .

Ferrets. I am going to go with turning a bunch of ferrets loose in the chimney. :)

Never did it, don't know how to do it but my common sense says start at the bottom and work your way up.
Nope it is usually easier and less chance of blockages working from the top down.

haha, that's the thing! this clay liner starts about halfway up the chimney and ends 5 feet before the top. Think it's 2-3 sections should be easy though
Unless they are mortared in. Then things get tricky. Breakouts even on 30' chimneys typically take me under an hour. But I have also spent multiple days trying to get liners out of a chimney as well.

Unless they are mortared in. Then things get tricky. Breakouts even on 30' chimneys typically take me under an hour. But I have also spent multiple days trying to get liners out of a chimney as well.

Gonna try a hammer on the end of a PVC pipe lol. After I clean out the cleanout hole just enough to where the pieces should fall right there for easy removal. before I do so there is absolutely no way this SS liner is fitting thru the 8x8 clay? Liner arrives next week

Gonna try a hammer on the end of a PVC pipe lol. After I clean out the cleanout hole just enough to where the pieces should fall right there for easy removal
Yeah I seriously doubt that will work.

Nope it is usually easier and less chance of blockages working from the top down.
That surprises me. I would think once the liner is broken the now larger opening would be less likely to jam w/ material. Working from top the broken pieces have to fall all the way through the narrower opening of intact liner. But what do I know?

That surprises me. I would think once the liner is broken the now larger opening would be less likely to jam w/ material. Working from top the broken pieces have to fall all the way through the narrower opening of intact liner. But what do I know?
Yes but the liners are smoother and working from the bottom you are removing the support for the upper liners.

Reactions: jatoxico
well, Got that clay thimble out and the clay liner it was going into. got 1 clay liner that was above it still in tact I gotta figure out how to bust out

Attachments

• chimneyaccess.jpg
    chimneyaccess.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 88