Chimney liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJ273

Minister of Fire
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
I have an insulated SS chimney liner connected to my insert. It runs the full length of the chimney, which is lined with clay tiles. I happened to look up the chimney the other day, and noticed that a portion of the SS liner is leaning against the clay tiles going up the flue Is this an issue? It’s likely been this way for the 10 years I’ve had it installed. Just wondering if this is a clearance issue or if it’s fine.

Totally fine. The insulation allows for zero clearance inside the masonry chimney. This would be the case even if you did not have the clay.

Reactions: bholler
What he said

Totally fine. The insulation allows for zero clearance inside the masonry chimney. This would be the case even if you did not have the clay.
Thank you. My concern was the heat from the liner leaning against the clay overheating the clay tile, possibly damaging it or transferring heat. But i do tend to overthink things!

Thank you. My concern was the heat from the liner leaning against the clay overheating the clay tile, possibly damaging it or transferring heat. But i do tend to overthink things!
If it's insulated it's fine as far as heat transfer. And your not going to hurt the clay

If it is insulated, according to the specs of the liner, then it should be fine.

Reactions: kabookie