Best way to cover wood touched by fungus .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I dropped the ball and split my wood when it was too late . Lot of big rounds developed fungus on it . I trew away most damaged wood but split the rest of it . It’s been couple month , we had very wet summer . It was uncovered and I see some fungus growing again on split wood .
I have enough clear plastic to cover it complitely to protect from any moisture. Should I do this or do just a top? Thank you

As mentioned . . . air is your friend.

That said I don't worry too much about some fungi growing on my splits or rounds. After drying outside for a year or two I put the wood under the woodshed where it is dry and gets decent air flow . . . and by the time I get around to burning it a year or so later the fungi is pretty much dead or gone from the dry conditions.

All of those shrooms will burn great once they're dry.

Reactions: Highbeam
They'll be dead with the first freeze and the wood is not damaged.
They are pretty much either living on the bark or living on the fibers in the cracks of the seasoning ends

mold and mildew is NBFD either

They'll all sprout pretty much any time there is enough moisture to support them and they'll die off when they starve because their favorite conditions are gone.

I would top cover only. If it is convenient, the stack has good sun exposure and you have some spare clear plastic, maybe cover the south side as well. The main thing is to get that wood somewhere with enough sun and enough airflow to get it down to fiber saturation point ASAP. Once the wood is dry enough to start shrinking - you will see your stacks moving- you have it under FSP (fiber saturation point) and no more worries about fungus unless it gets wet again.