Best Way to cut 20-30" logs down fireplace size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tums13

Mar 31, 2007
I am in a position where I get free firewood from time to time, but the problem is that it isn't all cut into 16" lengths
A lot of it is in the 20-30" area. What would be the best way to cut it down to a usable size?

Only way I can think of at the moment is to intermix the long pieces in my wood pile while stacking, let them hang out and saw off the ends
Any other ideas? Would be appreciated. If I was paying for it, the size would be an issue but since it is free and good wood (Almond, walnut, oak) I cannot really complain

After its split I hit my long ones with my compund mitre saw. Just lop of the 4 -10 inches and I use the "chunks" for starting my fires.

Mike P

I have used a bandsaw and I like it. I also use the chainsaw. I'm thinking of trying a larger chop saw. I'm in a similar position often. I ususally split it long, then cut it.

ATB,
Mike p

I just toss any log over my stove's limit (20") onto a couple other logs or a pallet, and chainsaw them down the middle. I had a bunch of too-long splits from a previous fireplace, those I piled up on a pallet and cut all at once. The main thing to watch out for if the logs are small is to make sure they are against the spikes on the base of the saw before the chain touches. Otherwise, they may shoot back at the saw and/or you.

Some folks like to get one proper-sized log and one mini log from each too-long log. Others (like me) just cut roughly in half. Somehow this choice has never escalated on the order of cat/no cat, but I'm game. :)

Tums,

I use my cordwood saw to shorten oversized rounds and I use may chop saw to shorten splits.

Status
Not open for further replies.