Best way to label wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You could burn the date on an end of a piece of wood........

I can usually remember to within the month of when I cut and split, but I still sometimes mark stacks with a sharpie on the end of one of the splits.

For me its interesting and informative to know how long things have seasoned, sinced stacked.
I have assorted stacks. All oak,/ all dead standing oak, /all dead standing locust,/ all dead standing white ash,/ mix of hickory, ash, locust, and apple, / mix of norway maple, paper birch and some other unidentified species,/ a mix of white ash, black walnut, / a mix of oak, and some other mystery wood / a mix of elm, sugar maple and chestnut, / a mix of pine and other soft wood, and a stack of black walnut. My latest stack, I just started is norway maple, sweet birch,and black locust
I have stacked in this manner in hopes of utilizing the driest wood first. These are all stacked outside. Most partially under pine trees.
If it only took one year to season everything it wood be easy. However I have two all oak stacks that are now two summers stacked and still 30% mc.

Yes the barcoding works well , just spoke to a fellow that works for a warehouse and they are switching systems so I can get the racks, conveyors and the whole sorting system for about 800,000 and it will pick the wood and stack it in a pile all I have to do is make the labels and I am good to go! :)

Tony H said:
Yes the barcoding works well , just spoke to a fellow that works for a warehouse and they are switching systems so I can get the racks, conveyors and the whole sorting system for about 800,000 and it will pick the wood and stack it in a pile all I have to do is make the labels and I am good to go! :)

That $800,000 should pay back in about 1,000 years or so with the added efficiency it will give the whole system form stack to burn.

a strip of aluminum cut from the beverage can of your choice can be imprinted with a ball point pen and nailed to the end of a chunk. I put a spiral in the strip by pulling it over a corner an use these to label some things in the garden along with the map that is kept somewhere.

Ben, Thats a good one! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.