1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Best way to move the wood from the pile to my house?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Ziprich, Sep 14, 2013.

1. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    I would think it might be better to move the whole pile, or as much of it as you can closer to that entry. Then every time you need wood, it isn't such a hike. If you get sick or hurt, that distance might be what shuts you off from your wood.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    I move wood from the stacks to a pile on the back porch using a wheelbarrow. I then move wood into the house using a cloth carrier made for moving firewood. This works fine for me. The cloth carrier catches most of the debris from the wood, so it keeps the floor clean in the house.
    jackatc1 likes this.
  3. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Yep, Log Bag a must have
    jackatc1 likes this.
  4. CMAG

CMAG Member

Loc:
    Long Island
    Big wheels roll easy, but keep in mind on a stairs it will be like a steep ramp you will be holding the weight all the way down
    a appliance hand truck you can go one step at a time and then move your feet get good footing and go down another step
    this is IMO much safer and can carry much more weight up and down stairs
  5. Treacherous

Treacherous Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WA state
    [​IMG]
  6. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    Wow! More big boy toys. Got to love it.
    ScotO likes this.
  7. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

I could use one of them at the grocery store!
    ScotO likes this.
  8. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shingletown, Northern California (elev. 4000 ft.)
    If it were me, I'd try to rig a slide (remember your old swing-set?), light enough you could put it on the stairs when you need it and remove when you don't. Or build something similar hinged to the wall side of the stairs. Lower it into place to dump the wood down, then flip it up when done. Carrying (or rolling) wood down stairs just doesn't sound that appealing. Work smarter.
    ScotO and CMAG like this.
  9. CMAG

CMAG Member

Loc:
    Long Island
    That is cool just need to run it on propane for indoor use
  10. NortheastAl

NortheastAl Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Putnam, NY
    I did it last year like that, but I hate having to go up my deck stairs with one load, and then have to do it again. I have a 4'x4' steel rack on the deck along side the house. I fill it up by making multiple trips up the stairs from the wheel barrow. The cloth bag is used to take it in from the sliding deck door. If I had one of those carts with the big wheels I could go around the front of the house, come up the two steps into the house and it is only 10 feet or so to the stove. Not that I am willing to pay $200 for a wood cart. I just want to make it easy on myself. One other thought I had was to put a rack outside the front door and use the cloth bag from there. Don't know how wood at the front of the house looks, but maybe I can camouflage the rack and wood somehow.
  11. Treacherous

Loc:
    WA state
    They do make an electric model if tracks aren't needed.

[​IMG]
    NortheastAl likes this.
  12. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I use my old faithful Sears Custom tractor and a vintage Jackson lawn cart....haul it over to the basement, pitch it in the door and stack it up!
    In regards to both of those implements, they just don't make them like they used to anymore!!

2012-07-15_12-33-04_522.jpg
    TimJ and NortheastAl like this.
  13. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
  14. Treacherous

Loc:
    WA state

What year is your Sears? My dad still uses my grandfather's old '70 Sears 15HP single cylinder SS to move his firewood. He even uses the original trailer.
    NortheastAl and ScotO like this.
  15. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    I really like the double wheel wheelbarrow. The one with the deep pan. Tractor supply.
    You can really load it up and moves quite easily. The steps are something else. Most of us deal with some carrying
    once you get to the house. That's what keeps you lean and mean;lol
    NortheastAl likes this.
  16. ScotO

ScotO Guest

It's a 1964 model. Motor was replace some time before I ever owned it (probably 20-30 years ago), runs like a swiss watch....
    NortheastAl likes this.
  17. Treacherous

Loc:
    WA state
    I think my dad had to rebuild carb about 10 years ago but pretty much stock except for the belts. He mows his lawn with it as well. They are built like tanks.
    ScotO likes this.
  18. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Mine sat for a DECADE with a carburetor issue as well. Turns out, the main gas tube in the bowl of the carburetor had a really REALLY small inlet hole in the side of it that was barely visible to the naked eye, it was plugged solid with varnish. Thanks to a micro drillbit set I had in my machinist tool box (and a trip on Google), I found it and corrected it. Runs fantastic now, and you are right, they are built like tanks! I have to replace some seals on the differential sometime soon, it's leaking a little gear oil right now......
    I also have the mower deck, I may clean it up someday and throw it back on for something to do. I want to put the snowplow on it too this winter....
    NortheastAl likes this.
  19. Ziprich

Ziprich Member

Loc:
    Western Md (Hagerstown)
    I would love to take one of my old windows and make it a wood chute. I guess I need some plans or courage.
  20. Treacherous

Loc:
    WA state
    That is cool you have the snowplow option.
  21. ScotO

ScotO Guest

It's actually off of a 1980's Craftsman, but I will be making a custom bracket to mount it to the underframe of the Sears Custom.....
    NortheastAl likes this.
  22. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    That was meant somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but yep, many hands make short work out of things needing to get done.
    Get some pizza and sodas and they'll be happy campers...sore, but happy and full.
  23. BillLion

BillLion Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greater Hartford, CT
    That's the type of cart I want to get! Lowes was out yesterday, but I'm going to keep looking...

BTW: The cart looks even nicer with the Fiskars strategically displayed. ;)
  24. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA

Use a wheelbarrow. My shed is about 50' from my door. I use a wheelbarrow. If my shed were 50 yards away I'd use a wheelbarrow.
  25. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Or this