Best way to re-hab wood burning fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jmon22

Jan 2, 2017
Ohio
I have a 1978 built home that I purchased 4 years ago. Has an old wood burning masonry fireplace that I have never used. Located on the outside of the home and leaks like a sieve. The damper is rusted out so I have it sealed up as well as I can. Want to figure out a way to make it functioning again.

I do not want to use it as a traditional wood burner. Do not want to deal with smoke and such in the house. I also don't need it to provide much supplemental heat as my home is fairly tight (sans fireplace) and I have a newer furnace. My priorities are as follows: 1) Energy efficiency (when not in use) 2) Aesthetics (when in use and not) 3) Budget 4) Supplemental heat

Have looked at the options and can't seem to find anything that would be a great fit:

1) Wood burning insert- It appears that the same issues that cause my fireplace to leak cold air now may also cause issues with an insert. I am not a big fan of real fires, but if this would give me something at least useable for a decent price I would be open to it. Would this provide too much heat?

2) Gas burning insert- Seems to fit all of my needs, but is wayyyyy over what I was originally hoping to spend. Gas line accessible about 20 feet from fireplace, so no issues there. Too much heat with this option also?

3) Gas vented logs- Would have to keep the damper open at all times, so would seem to be least efficient solution

4) Gas ventless logs- Seems like they may be a fit since it would allow me to completely close damper when not in use, but not sure about some of the issues that are associated with these.

Any input from someone that has been in the same situation? Is any of my information or assessments incorrect? I plan to call a professional, but at least want to have some sort of direction before doing so.

Gas ventless logs. We have them in one of our rental houses, here in the NC mountains, and they work well. Put out a pretty good amount of heat and look good. Ours are running on propane.
Also, it seems that these could put out toxic CO. I have an expensive CO detector and hung it on the wall in the living room for 24 hours and it never even registered any CO.

4) Gas ventless logs- Seems like they may be a fit since it would allow me to completely close damper when not in use, but not sure about some of the issues that are associated with these.
to me a house vented log set like this is the least desirable of the options

3) Gas vented logs- Would have to keep the damper open at all times, so would seem to be least efficient solution
You are right this is the least efficent of the choices you list. But If I had to pick I would pick it over ventless.

2) Gas burning insert- Seems to fit all of my needs, but is wayyyyy over what I was originally hoping to spend. Gas line accessible about 20 feet from fireplace, so no issues there. Too much heat with this option also?
Sounds like this is your best choice. But you will need to make sure everything is sealed up well or you will still have air leaks. Also insulate behind the insert. And the heat output is variable so not not to much heat

1) Wood burning insert- It appears that the same issues that cause my fireplace to leak cold air now may also cause issues with an insert. I am not a big fan of real fires, but if this would give me something at least useable for a decent price I would be open to it. Would this provide too much heat?
Does not have the same issues with air leakage if installed correctly. But it is going to be the most expensive of the lot. And also the most work. But will give you the most heat out of your listed options.

Does not have the same issues with air leakage if installed correctly. But it is going to be the most expensive of the lot. And also the most work. But will give you the most heat out of your listed options.

I'm actually surprised about this comment about being expensive. A Drolet unit seems to be pretty high quality at around $1k. Other than running vent doesn't seem to be much else to it. Gas inserts are going to be $4k plus.

I'm actually surprised about this comment about being expensive. A Drolet unit seems to be pretty high quality at around $1k. Other than running vent doesn't seem to be much else to it. Gas inserts are going to be $4k plus.
Well there are many many gas inserts way under 4k and many wood inserts way over 1k. And the install and liner for the wood unit will easily be twice if not 3 times the cost of that for a gas unit.

jmon22, before making suggestions it would help to know what the budget is.