Best Whitfield Stove before year 2000??????? Experts???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oct 29, 2007
Troy Idaho
I want to start collecting old whitfield stoves. Does any one know which models were considered the best of is there any particular model to stay away from. The farmers around here have whitfields in thier barns. I like them.
This is what I have figured out so far.
I am retired and need another hobby. I may fix them up and sell them to old folks who need heat
I especially like the Legend because it has NO control board!

Name----------Years Made-----------Serial No-----------type

Legend -------1984-1987------------1001-6177/-------- WP1

Explorer/Frontiersman1989-1990---1001-????/--------WF1/WF2
Advantage I -----------1985-1989---1001-7400 /-------WP2
Advantage II-----------1989-2000---7401-18144/------WP2
Advantage II-T---------1990-2000---18144-75863/----WP2
Advantage III----------1991-1996---18144-75863/----WP2
Prodigy I+II-------------1990-1994-----1001-????/------WP3
Advantage Plus--------1996-2000------------------------- WP7
Advantage II-T Classic-2002-????---75864-????-------WP2

I may include Advantage II-T Classic in my list of wanted stoves if they were a good working unit.
I currently have a Advantage II and a Legend
Thanks Mark

Whitfield Advantage II-T

I noticed in 2002 they brought back the Advantage and called it the Advantage II-T Classic. Is it the same as the original Advantage II-T??

I say stay away from
Explorer/Frontiersman1989-1990---1001-????/--------WF1/WF2 Lack of parts
Advantage I -----------1985-1989---1001-7400 /-------WP2 Hard to clean lack of part
Prodigy I+II-------------1990-1994-----1001-????/------WP3 Crap and lack of part
And MOST OF ALL
Advantage II-T Classic-2002-????---75864-????-------WP2 IF IT HAS PHOTO EYE Proof of fire system
PROFILE 20 and 30 Photo eye Crap

The rest are good as long as they have or been upgraded to the new ultra grate burn pot.

I like the advantage plus because it is the easiest to clean and has the nice powder coating finish.
but I have heard from a dealer that after 10 years of hard use some of the heat exchange tubes have started to leak.
I have sold about 100 advantage plus's and have not seen this yet.

ADVII-T C didn't have a photoeye did it? I don't remember I thought they kept the original low limit switch system on that stove.

Shane said:
ADVII-T C didn't have a photoeye did it? I don't remember I thought they kept the original low limit switch system on that stove.

Im not sure. I stopped selling whitfield stoves after the first 8 Profile's I sold with to many service calls and no help from lennox.

Let me look
You are right they show a low limit switch for parts replacement
it is the
Models Advantage Optima 2 FS, Optima 3 FS & Optima 3 INS
that still have the photo Eye
So stay away from them also.

Just the info I was looking for !!!!!!!! Thanks guys.
Mark

Oh I forgot. No mention here on the Advantage III. Any comments??? Looks like just a different one piece door to me

mark said:
Oh I forgot. No mention here on the Advantage III. Any comments??? Looks like just a different one piece door to me
That stove is the same as the Advantage IIT and list it in the parts page as all the same parts but the door and glass.
it just has the wrap around door like the Advantage plus.

hi my names roy from vancouver. i dont mean to hijack this thread but it relavant. i just seperated from the wife , funds are tight and i need to heat my living room.

am i delusional/ missing something because this seems like a good deal, but im a little dubious when something seems to good to be true. and right now i could really do with your imput.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/for/973470170.html

many thanks and have a good new year.. Roy

I would buy it if the control board was good...

Status
Not open for further replies.