1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Best wood for long burns

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by elkimmeg, Mar 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

In the woods around here, are standing or leaning dead oaks, with most of the bark fallen off, dry as can be. Ideal size of the round 4 to 7” Its so dry, it does not require splitting. I burn the rounds, they provide the longest burn times and fewest re-loadings. I might throw a few smaller splits on the coals first, but in there is a good bed no need. I wish I have piles of them but I don’t, better yet, they are burn ready right after cutting

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. precaud

precaud Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sunny New Mexico
    Oak rounds are my favorite, too. Sadly, oak is a rarity around here, only found in small patches around rocky outcroppings. I used to drive around Rowe Mesa looking for these patches. Didn't even need a chainsaw to gather it - the roots start to rot first, you could just pull the trunk over, it would snap at the root, and throw it in the truck... easy as pie!
  3. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Red oak is one of those woods that dosen't rot easily on the stump. Where I originally come from, in Wisconsin, if you've got oak on your property, you've got dead oak, which means you've got dry firewood just waiting to be cut down. And yeah, it burns for a good long time.

I burn mostly beech, which has similar burn characteristics to oak, but it rots quickly on the stump once dead.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.