Best wood for long burns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

In the woods around here, are standing or leaning dead oaks, with most of the bark fallen off, dry as can be. Ideal size of the round 4 to 7” Its so dry, it does not require splitting. I burn the rounds, they provide the longest burn times and fewest re-loadings. I might throw a few smaller splits on the coals first, but in there is a good bed no need. I wish I have piles of them but I don’t, better yet, they are burn ready right after cutting

elkimmeg said:
In the woods around here, are standing or leaning dead oaks, with most of the bark fallen off, dry as can be.
Oak rounds are my favorite, too. Sadly, oak is a rarity around here, only found in small patches around rocky outcroppings. I used to drive around Rowe Mesa looking for these patches. Didn't even need a chainsaw to gather it - the roots start to rot first, you could just pull the trunk over, it would snap at the root, and throw it in the truck... easy as pie!

Red oak is one of those woods that dosen't rot easily on the stump. Where I originally come from, in Wisconsin, if you've got oak on your property, you've got dead oak, which means you've got dry firewood just waiting to be cut down. And yeah, it burns for a good long time.

I burn mostly beech, which has similar burn characteristics to oak, but it rots quickly on the stump once dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.